Exploring Geographic Data with the GeoMap Chart

Document created by Bob Gill on Jan 22, 2018Last modified by Bob Gill on Jan 22, 2018
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

About the Solution/Project

This was a learning project I undertook to test my understanding of design concepts in BOARD. By using the Canadian census data, I wanted to see test the geographic tools in BOARD. This dataset has almost 490K datapoints with lat/long coordinates and complex aggregations to define many types of geographic regions. At the lowest level, we have one city block with the population, private dwellings and private dwellings occupied.

Video Walkthrough

To see a video walkthrough of the solution, visit this link on YouTube. --> Exploring Census Data Using the BOARD GeoMap Tool - YouTube 

Takeaways

After experimenting with many approaches, the final solution is pretty simple. Here are some takeaways I learned.

• Use relationships to define all the geographic relations between entities
  • Load all data at the same, lowest grain
  • Add versions to improve performance of each screen

Attachments/Print Screens/Videos

• Navigation screen to zoom-in/zoom-out with the mouse
  • Filter to specific geographic regions with pagers and select tools

• Entities

• Relationships - Starting with one city block, geographic groupings are very complex

• Cubes - Population is the main cube with many versions to ensure good performance.

• Data Readers - Just two data readers. One for metadata. One for facts.

Links to Datasources

Canadian Geographic Attributes File : http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=92-151-X&ObjType=2&lang=en&limit=0 

Canadian Census Data Measures: Download, Census Profile, 2016 Census 

Attachments

The Census.zip attachment includes the following items

• 2016_92-151_XBB.csv - This is the source CSV file used for both data readers
  • Census.cpsx - The capsule file
  • Census.hbmp - The database

If you want to play around with this solution, the archive should have all the components you need to do so. If you have any tips or suggestions for other design approaches, please reply so we can all learn.

2 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes