Vertical Alignment of a Dataview

Document created by Paul Wyatt - GVA on Mar 2, 2018Last modified by lscaburri on Mar 5, 2018
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

About the Solution/Project: 

About the solution

I regularly need to display multiple cube values at the base level, but vertically.  BOARD default alignment is horizontal and will not allow a vertical display of values unless a higher level entity is chosen to slice the data.  Whilst the 'effect' I am looking for can be achieved through layout embedded labels, there is too much work required to maintain such a solution, especially if procedures are then required to carry out any drill or subsequent action - I simply want a dataview object to do what a dataview object does, but in a vertical alignment at the base level.  So, I built a process to give me this and then thought that others might find it useful.

I created a video to:

1. Demonstrate the creation of the process.
  2. How the entity is used in design madfe.
  3. How a web user would use the entity in their own analysis. 

Whist the web process is BOARD 10 WEB, the creation and dev processes to create it will work on BOARD 9.

I also included the capsule from the video of the finished model - based on the Northwind database.

Solution/Project info

Info:

The solution is very simple in that it requires the creation of only one entity with only one member.  This entity is added to the cubes required to be displayed vertically.  Once the cubework is complete, the cube loading datareader is amended to include the entity, replacing a legitimate mdb entry with the digit '1' - There is no need to use a manual sql script.

Attachments/Print Screens/Videos

I've included as many attachments as I can to illustrate the solution. they are as follows:

1. Video - Vertical alignment of a dataview at base level.
  2. BOARD 10.4.1 datamodel with one screen
  3. Image illustrating the default BOARD horizontal alignment of a dataview and the vertically aligned version with the solution.
  4. Image of the datareader with the manual SQL script in place to build the Entity member for inclusion into the data load process.

Takeaways/ Hints for other community Members:

I use SQL scripts to populate all function entities and never use CSV files.  I've attached an image of the script in the datareader.  The SQL is here:

SELECT *
FROM (
VALUES
('1','Active'))
t1(vert_c,vert_desc)

OPTIONAL: DATABASE/CAPSULE

Want to share additional material with other BOARDVille Citizens and the Community? Feeling like you would share a BOARD Capsule? Make sure information is anonymized and no sensible information is shared. Simplify and reduce the size of the application/solution, to the screens/procedures if necessary

NOTE: All inspirations will be reviewed before publication. Usual time to publication is 24h. You will be notified when the document will be published and contacted directly in case something requires your attention/intervention

7 people found this helpful

Outcomes