a common feature of charts are labels around the graphical visualisation, to describe to the reader what he is looking on.
These labels are:
- chart title
- axes titles (for all X, Y1 and Y2 axes)
- axes units
My idea is to wish that BOARD charts let the developer define the points 3 and 4 for the charts. Currently (version 10.1.4), it is not possible to define them in the chart object.
See this example, the red zones are the place where i wish there would be labels defined directly within the chart object:
This idea addresses a need i had for almost all charts i created. I cannot define any titles nor their units for axes X, Y1, Y2 directly in the chart object.
Until now, I created label objects, independent from the chart object itself, at the places where i need them around the chart. This has following crimps:
- vertical and horizontal alignment of the axes units and titles with the axes themselves adds more work, is only manually to achieve, therefore inaccurate. Moreover the windows and web clients do not show the result (labels and chart alignment) identically => bad UI result on different platforms.
- print the screen in PDF: usually, users want at least to print one chart on one single page, and not more.Sometimes more than one chart by page.
- By default the label objects are not printed on the same page than the chart.
- The only workaround for this is to
- create a panel container
- insert the chart and all labels for axes titles and units into the panel container
- print the panel on one single page.
- Within this panel, the alignment of the objects is more difficult than on a simple screen, because "CTRL+ click on the several objects i want to align" is not available. Only the lasso select tool is still available, which in some case is not enough to work (e.g. the lasso selects 4 objects, and i cannot deselect one of these 4... )