Using dataflows, BOARD is able to pass values from one cube to another. As such, only one datareader to populate the initial cube is required.
This functionality allows for dynamic processes to manipulate the contents of infocubes in many useful ways, such as:
- Quantifying values from one hierarchy to another.
- Allow multiple users to simultaneously and independently create scenarios without writing the results to the server.
I would be interested to know of any method that would allow me to pass entity members to an infocube for displaying in a report, similar to the dataflow method. An example would be where an entity of one hierarchy is required in a report of another hierarchy.
I look forward to any response to my query. If it is not possible, I will re-post it as an idea.
Below is the method I currently use and am looking to replace with a dataflow type method.
ASCII txt file process.
Entity members can be passed to infocubes (and vice versa) by carrying out the following:
- Export a configured dataview with the source entity to txt
- Import txt file values into a target cube
- use target cube within report
- Two dimensions, [BRANCH] and [LEASE]. [BRANCH] contains the entity [Brand], which is to appear in a report on the dimension [LEASE].
- A functional requirement of the lease report is that it should be ordered by any column selected by the user.
Image 1: ENTITY structure
- A LEASE report requires the entity members of [Brand] to be included
- The report to be ordered by any column within it. Due to the ordering criteria, only one row axis can be used, [LEASE].
- An infocube for [Brand] is used show the [Brand] at [LEASE] level.
Image 2: Lease Report
- The cube [Brand] is highlighted in red.
- The blue box shows two other entity members that have been similarly replicated in cubes.
- Additionally, the entity [Brand] has been used for selection purposes and can be seen on the left of the image.
Image 3: The Procedure that transfers the entity members to the cube: