Quick preview of the data in a cube

Options
Stefan Hering
Stefan Hering Employee
Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
edited March 2023 in Idea Exchange

To get a preview of the data in a cube we have to create a screen containing an appropriate dataview.

In order to get a really quick preview of the data in a cube it would be helpful to have the option of saving one or more views of the cube data as part of the analysis of a cube (screenshot below).

It should be possible to display one or more entities of the cube in these views either in the columns or rows. For an entity not displayed in the rows and columns one element can be selected in a pager on top of the view. This pager should offer the option to select an element from the complete tree.

Tagged:
28 votes

Open For Voting · Last Updated

Comments

• Philipp Schumacher
    Options

Great Idea! I had something similar on my mind:

Sometime I want to quickly check, for example, how a mapping cube is populatet. In that case it would already be super helpful to be able to pop into the layout editor directly from the cube list - similar to the procedure debugger window - and take a quick look instead of having to take the detour with navigating to a capsule, creating a screen, adding a dataview etc.

• Hamza Mesbahi
    Options

I think that's a great suggestion, too. I think that would save a little bit of time from having to, as Philipp mentioned, navigate to a capsule to create a preview screen there. Sometimes, when you come accross a new application — as part of a new phase, for example—then this would make it easier to get a preliminary idea of what data the cubes contain.

• Michael Williams
    Options

I like this idea.

Similarly I think it would be good to be able to select several cubes to compare and then clearly see the dimensions of each cube, highlighting where they differ.

• Kassam Varvani
    Options

This is standard functionality in tools like Cognos TM1. We should definitely have this!

• Daniel Borghs
    Daniel Borghs Employee
    Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited June 2023
    Options

With regards to performance it might make sense to have the overall cube sum and allow further analysis by drilling into this sum? OR a persistent but very simple "check" layout could be defined by makers. I don't know if it would make sense to define complex layouts and selections because at this point you are basically building a screen which could also be done in a data verification capsule with similar-ish effort.

• Peter Foulkes
    Options

Excellent idea and something that could significantly reduce the time required for troubleshooting purposes.

• Stefano Signorelli
    Options

Fantastic Idea! this would be so useful to investigate data!

• Ghislain
    Ghislain Customer
    Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Options

Excellent idea. This is definitely a must have!

• Stefan Hering
    Options

I have just talked to customer "Stadtwerke Leipzig", he agrees it is a must have!

• Stefan Hering
    Options

This functionality would save us having to set up a large number of screens and data views just to check the plausibility of data.