Backup methods during the maintenance and operation phase

MSugiyama
MSugiyama Active Partner
10 Comments Name Dropper Level 200: Building A Planning Solution in Board Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board
edited August 19 in Platform

Hello.

Currently, I am performing maintenance operations while having clients use capsules created with Board.
I would like to take data backups as part of my regular work.
As I understand it, the way to take backups in Board is to create a snapshot of the data model by making a copy of the files in a backup directory from the three lines in the top right of each data model.

①Is it only developer user licenses that can take backups?

②Regarding the capsule, since there will be no changes during the operation period, is it necessary to make a backup? Please tell me about the general backup methods for maintenance operations.

③How can I back up my capsules? Can I download the zip file from the Capsule Organizer in the Administration Portal and upload it locally as needed? Please let me know if there are any other methods.

I have read these pages.

https://www.boardmanual.com/2023/summer/data-modeling/working-with-data-models/backup-restore-data-model.htm?rhsearch=backup&rhhlterm=backup

Regards,

@MSugiyama

Accepted Answer

• Helmut Heimann
    Helmut Heimann Employee, Community Captain
    250 Likes Fourth Anniversary 100 Up Votes 100 Comments
    edited August 19 Answer ✓

Hi @MSugiyama ,

the "procedures and workspace" area is accessible from the profile administration page, you'll find it in System Administration→Security→Profiles:

I would recommend using the dedicated procedure action "Backup" since that will additionally create a timestamp for your Backup files which you will not get when using the tile option in the database view.

Furthermore, you can schedule the backup action according to your needs and thus don't have to think about doing it manually on a regular schedule.

And yes: you're right—only developers with access rights to the database in question can access the database view where they'll be able to perform backup and restore actions.

Best
    Helmut

Answers

• Samson Sunny
    Samson Sunny Employee, Community Captain
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Likes 5 Answers
    edited August 14

Hi @MSugiyama ,

Regarding the data model backup you can do it from the hamburger icon on data model page as you have highlighted or you could create a procedure and add the step "Backup Database" to create backup for your data model.

For the capsules, it doesn't hurt to keep a backup copy.

There are two ways you can create backup of your capsules:-

One is by downloading the zipped folder of the capsules from the cloud admin portal as you have detailed. You can unzip the folder and use the capsules in your localhost.

The other method is to take a capsule snapshot in the system administration under the ALM tab. This feature allows you to create and manage snapshots of all Capsule folders and Capsules of the Platform on which the Capsule snapshot action is performed.

• MSugiyama
    MSugiyama Active Partner
    10 Comments Name Dropper Level 200: Building A Planning Solution in Board Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board

@Samson Sunny

Thanks for the answers.

I understand that backing up the capsule is not mandatory.

Regarding the first question ①, what are the user roles and user permissions of the Board that can perform data model backup and capsule backup? Best regards.

• Helmut Heimann
    Helmut Heimann Employee, Community Captain
    250 Likes Fourth Anniversary 100 Up Votes 100 Comments

Hi @MSugiyama ,

the user's profile needs to be set for "allow execution of security critical procedures" in the procedures and workspace area:

Best
    Helmut

• MSugiyama
    MSugiyama Active Partner

@Helmut Heimann

Hello. Thanks for the answer.

①Where can I access the screen where I can set "procedures and workspace area"?

②I don't plan to use procedures for backups. I plan to take separate backups of the data model and capsules from the image below.

I believe that only developers have the user license to click on the yellow highlighted areas. Is that correct?

DataModel

Capsule

• MSugiyama
    MSugiyama Active Partner

@Helmut Heimann

Thank you for your answer.

My screen and yours seem to be a little different, and I was able to find the "procedures and workspace" in a different place. The "procedures and workspace" area is accessible from the profile administration page, you'll find it in System Administration→Security→Features.

I found it useful to use the dedicated procedure action "Backup" because it has a scheduling function.
    On the other hand, even in the Thailand option of the database view, the backup file name contained a Thailand stamp.

(The part hidden by the black pen is the data model name.) I'm sorry it's hard to understand in Japanese. )

Thanks a lot for the replies.

• Walter
    Walter Customer
    10 Comments Level 200: Building A Planning Solution in Board Name Dropper Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board

Hi @Samson Sunny,

Thanks for you respond. I find it helpful