Age banding

Options

Hi Board community.

I need to show claim amount by groups of ages of the claim e.g. 0-16, 16-31, 31-46.....

How do I do this kind of age banding in Board?

Regards

Thora

Tagged:

Answers

• Thank you for your answer Alexander Kappes

I am loading the claims from sql and I should be able to get the age information so I will follow you suggestion.

Best Regards,

Thora

• Fabio Donatellis
    Options

Hi Thora Hirst

In this article  Sample: Time Functions,  you can find several applications of the time functions and a simple example.

I think could be a good inspiration.

Fabio

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

Hi Thora Hirst,

Since you mentioned the datasource is SQL, you could also calculate the bands in your source query. To make things simpler in BOARD, you may want to create a database view like the following.

CREATE VIEW dbo.vw_MyView AS

SELECT A.Age,
       CASE
         WHEN A.Age BETWEEN 0 AND 16 THEN 'Group1'
         WHEN A.Age BETWEEN 17 AND 31 THEN 'Group2'
         WHEN A.Age BETWEEN 32 AND 46 THEN 'Group3'
         ELSE 'Group4'
       END as AgeBand
    FROM dbo.tblFact A

By using CASE and BETWEEN statements, the banding can be done in the query as a derived column. You would probably want to add other key and data columns to the view too. 

• Hi Bob

Thank you very much for your reply.

It is very helpful.

Regards,

Thora

• Hi,

You could also use a hierarchy in the relations. So in your dimension you would have an entity for every age and in a relation you would group them.

This way you can have reports on the hierarchy with the option to drill down to details.

• Hi Robert

This is also a good idea. Thank you.

Regards,

Thora

• Hi Bob Gill! I found your info useful for myself. But the real problem is to implement the idea you have stated. is there any easiest way or tool like thing to handle/solve it?

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

Well, SQL Management Studio would be the tool to use for a SQL approach.  

If you want to keep everything in BOARD, you could use a series of data flow steps in a procedure. In each dataflow step, we would use an if statement to say if(and(20<a, a<= 25),a,0). This expression gives the bucket of 20-25.