Why aren't my percentages correct for the Total columns/rows?

Options

Hi

I'm a fairly new user of Board, so this might be something obvious - I've been building financial reports, but with my percentage calculations, through using rules, the percentages are correct on the data columns, but incorrect on both the total columns/rows. Values are all divided by 1000 to get $'000 for my financial reports. My percentages on the total column/rows are all multiplied by 1000 in error. I can't seem to only apply or not apply to totals, or create a separate rule, which doesn't seem correct. 

Could someone advise what setting I'm missing to get the total column/row percentages working with the same formula as the data rows?

Thanks

Angela

Tagged:

Answers

• Alexander Kappes
    Alexander Kappes Employee
    First Anniversary Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Name Dropper
    edited March 2020
    Options

Dear Angela Kerr,

thanks for you request.

The problem is known and will be corrected in one of the following releases.

In the meanwhile my suggestion is using an Columnalgorithm instead the Divide By Function.

Doing this you just set the block with the divide by to invisible and insert another block where you insert the formular:

Hope it helps

regards

Alexander Kappes

• Thanks Alexander

I will give that a go tomorrow. Appreciate the response.

regards

Angela

Get Outlook for iOS<https://aka.ms/o0ukef>

• Hi Alexander

I’m not getting the correct result with a column algorithm – I need to calculate the revenue variance differently to the expense variance ie. Revenue variance is positive if over budget, but expense is positive if under budget, which is why I used rules instead of a straight column algorithm.

If I am meant to do the new column algorithm on the existing variance and just divide by 1000, I am getting the wrong result – it is just adding the variances together rather than recalculating! See attached. Still showing correct existing variances block for my other columns, but wrong for the new calc for the total (c/1000 where c = variance calculated).

Can I apply a different rule only to the totals? I can’t see how but maybe you know!

Thanks

Angela

Angela Kerr

Senior Commercial Analyst

P:

03 9828 1769

Lvl 1, 117 Camberwell Road Hawthorn East 3123

Connect with us online:

• Alexander Kappes
    Alexander Kappes Employee
    First Anniversary Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Name Dropper
    edited March 2020
    Options

Dear Angela Kerr,

I think I don´t explain detaillized enough.

My suggestion was, that you have your cube with the assigned rule.

But that you don´t run the Divide By to this block and therefore you hide it.

Additively to this you insert an algorithm which is doing the "Divide By".

Hope the screens help to explain:

Hope it helps

regards

Alexander Kappes

• Hi Alexander

Thanks for the extra detail. I managed to get it working, using most of your suggested solution! I took the divided by calc out of the rule, and went back to using an algorithm. Then I just set the Summary Algorithm to calculated so it stopped totalling up the percentages. So it is working for the rows.

However the % calcs within the column report layout, in the totals are still wrong, so I have hidden them.ie.  profit as % revenue, is correct for the split cost centres, but x1000 for the total columns. I can’t use a different block for this field, or different formatting, or divide just the total column for this row, by 1000. As this is a known problem, is there any workaround for this?

If not, I will leave hidden for now. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

Regards

Angela

Angela Kerr

Senior Commercial Analyst

P:

03 9828 1769

Lvl 1, 117 Camberwell Road Hawthorn East 3123

Connect with us online:

• Etienne CAUSSE
    Options

Hi Alexander Kappes

I ran into this issue recently.

Do you know when it will be fixed ? Is there another maintenance release planned for 10.3 before 11 ?

Thanks for your reply and workaround (however this is again an added complexity that doubles the number of blocks...).
    Etienne   

• Alexander Kappes
    Options

Dear Etienne CAUSSE,

there will be another maintenance release on 10.3 within this quarter.

We don´t know at the moment if this issue will be fixed inside this release.

Best case for you will be checking the release notes.

I think the new version will be announced in the community too.

hope it helps

regards

Alexander Kappes