BOARD11: Select based on cube (Screen)

Options
Borja Melero
Borja Melero Active Partner
First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding to the dynamic selection feature in BOARD 11. 

I'm trying to set a dynamic selection based on a cube in a screen and inside the selection It allows me to enable it but not to select the cube (I attach the images).

Does anyone have the same issue or can help me?

I know that it allows to set it inside a procedure (like in BOARD10 client) but I cannot do it in a BOARD11 design Screen.

Thank you in advance,

Borja

Tagged:

Answers

• Paul Wyatt
    Paul Wyatt Customer
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Likes First Anniversary
    edited March 2020
    Options

URGENT UPDATE: Be very aware that a number of pop-out menus require expanding to access all options. 

American top cartoons: Scooby doo cartoon

Hi Borja, I was equally intrigued by your mystery so me and the kids went snooping around and here's what we found. 

The dynamic selection indicator functions exactly as it did in BOARD 10 BUT, you will only see all options if you expand the pop-out window.  This is a very interesting situation as the pop-out is correct only if you know to expand it for height and width in order to see the hidden options.

My original response appeared correct as I wrote it on my laptop with a low resolution.  However, whilst working today, I have performed the very action I had stated could not be done, to make a dynamic selection based on a cube from the window selection icon.  This time though, I was working on my 27" UHD screen and now I can show the error in all it's ugly glory.  Image 1 is the screen setup.  I have a data entry dataview to write a value to a cube 1D:Tenure.  Image 2 displays the pop-out as it appears on a 1366x768 resolution screen.  Note the '...' denoting a continuation of the text.  Also note the lack of any ability to select a cube for use as a dynamic selector.  The pop-out is capable of being expanded and, on expanding, Image 3 shows the full options available.  Image 4 is how I saw the options on a 27" UHD screen.

The ramifications for this are very severe.  If users do not check that the pop-out window needs expanding, they risk missing important selections.  this is a point that should be brought to the attention of the BOARD software developers for update in a future release but, more immediately, it should be brought to the attention of all developers moving to or operating on the Board 11 platform (maybe even Board 10.x.x).

I have now raised an idea on this here: https://community.board.com/ideas/1214-board-11-optimised-pop-out-menus-for-low-resolution-displays

Borja, this is an excellent outcome for me as your query has led to the discovered a potential pitfall of the platform which can now be notified to fellow developers.

Image 1: Cube 1 1d:Tenure & Cube 2 2D:Branch, Tenure

Image 2: Dynamic options as seen on a screen of 1366x786 - note the ability to expand the pop-out window and no option to pick a cube to base selection by.

Image 3: Fully expanded pop-out dynamic selection options with drop down to choose cube to base selection by.

Image 4:  Dynamic options as seen on a screen of 2460x1440

Original response

The [...] box in html5 appears to have a less confusing role than it did in desktop.  It now seems to serve as an interactive indicator to show when a dynamic selection has been applied through the capsule designer.  This would suggest that developers previously using it to directly configure screens, as you described, might have to re-think their designs on migration to B11 - this is an especially dangerous point for developers with inherited models and no config notes.

You can test this point for yourself by carrying out the following actions, or any similar process:

Step1.  Opening a screen in design mode - [F4] & selecting a target entity with no selections in place - I've chosen the Entity: Brand as shown below and has no selections against it:

Step 2.  Attach a dynamic SELECT procedure to the OPEN trigger of that screen.

Step 3.  Exit design mode - [F4].

Step 4.  Select theimageicon and search for the selection you used in the procedure where you should see that it is now ticked - the RED box indicating this:

Incidentally, you will have noticed that a blue tick is applied to the left also.  This is to indicate an active selection on an entity and appears when anything is selected either by the user or through a procedure of any type.

Hope that this clears up the mystery for you Borja. As I'm sure you're aware, BOARD don't always explain their fiendish 'features'.

They'd have gotten away with it this time too if it wasn't for them pesky questions.

Scooby Doo: Creepy Heap from the Deep - Biohazard Films - well done.

• Borja Melero
    Options

Hi Paul,

Thank you so much for your explanation. It has been very useful.

Great job from you and the kids! 

• Paul Wyatt
    Options

URGENT Update to any user following this post.

The dynamic selection indicator functions exactly as it did in BOARD 10 BUT, you will only see all options if your screen resolution is greater than 1366x768.  This is a very interesting situation as the pop-out is correct only if you know to expand it for height and width in order to see the hidden options - Please read my updated solution to the original question posted by Borja Melero

• Borja Melero
    Options

Hi Paul,

I've been checking your solution and I found that with my resolution 1920x1080 I could not see the display, maybe it's a scale problem. 

If I maximize the pop-up it works fine so thank you so much for your contribution.

Regards!

• Paul Wyatt
    Options

Hi Borja, you're welcome.

Your query has identified an issue that has led me to raise an idea on the issue.  Please feel free to vote it up.

https://community.board.com/ideas/1214-board-11-optimised-pop-out-menus-for-low-resolution-displays

Regards,

Paul