excel column limit

Options

hi community, 

i have a datreader from excel file, i wanto to know if there is a column limit to import data from excel.

Regards

Andrea

Tagged:

Answers

• Alexander Kappes
    Options

Dear Andrea,

the limit is depending to your odbc driver and what he can deliver.

Checking Google just with "Excel ODBC limit columns" e.g. found the following result:

https://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/394024-excels-odbc-drivers-field-limit.html 

According to this, and for the used ODBC there the limit is 255 Columns.

Hope it helps

regards

Alexander Kappes

• Andrea Florio
    Andrea Florio Active Partner
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    Options

Hi Alexander Kappes,

thank you for your answer, but i understand the problem and it is not the EXCEL ODBC.

The real problem is that Excel Cannot Render Reports with More Than 256 Columns. The Microsoft Excel spreadsheet software limits the size of a worksheet size to 65,536 rows by 256 columns. If your report contains more than 65,536 rows, it is split into multipleworksheets.

So Board don't have limits to import data from excel but we got to create differents worksheests. The real problems is when for exemple we got take data from the first 5 column in a fioxed way. 

Regards

Andrea

• Alexander Kappes
    Options

Dear Andrea Florio,

sorry, but the real problem I don´t understand. Is your problem to create a excel spreadsheet which delivers the wished information inside the first n columns?

Or is the problem that board didn´t read from a excel source with 5 columns?

For general my suggestion is using Database ODBC Connections instead of flat file odbc connections. E.g. using MS SQL server allows you for example building up views, which deliver data in the needed structur.

Perhaps it can also make sense to generate import procedure inside sql which reads the excel content into sql table.

Hope it helps

regards

Alexander Kappes

• Andrea Florio
    Andrea Florio Active Partner
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Likes
    Options

Dear Alexander Kappes,

the problem isn't read from a excel source with 5 colums, but read from first 5 columns in a fixed way and others 251 colums from the two hundred and ninety-sixth column onwards.

Regards

Andrea