Passing values - no CSV in here please

Options

Hello BOARD community. 

I wanted to contribute before I asked a question but this issue is perplexing and I really want to know if it can be achieved.  I want to disseminate values of a cube to other cubes which have the exact same members but use differently named entities and live as parents in other trees.  

I do appreciate that a solution which uses a csv file, re-loaded into the target cube, would achieve what I want, however, I want to know if it is achievable without using a CSV file - OLAP only.

I have attached an illustration that I hope will make this easy to understand.

Tagged:

Answers

• Daniel Zillmann
    Options

Hi Paul,

I would probably follow Brendan's approach with the mapping cube. I am quite certain that you can automate this mapping as well, my first idea would be Nexel. You "just" need to compare the two entities with each other and when they are the same, then you have a 1 in your mapping cube. Or you could even create this mapping cube with a data reader by using the same data for both entities and enter a 1 into the mapping cube during the load.

Cheers,

Daniel

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

I'm not sure if the entities are replicated already, but using replicated entities, may help with the matching as you move from one allocation to another.

BOARD Replicated [R] Entities - How to use them by Gabriele Gallo does a good job explaining when, where and how replicated entities work. It sounds like this may help you out.

• Björn Reuber
    Options

Hi

a different approach might be the BOARD rolap Technology. You can create a Rolap cube on Entity Client and set a second Rolap cube (structured on SecPropClient) using the same relational Table.

So if the value in the first cube is change, second cube is automatically updated (without the need of an procedure) cause both cubes share the same Rolap Table.

Regards

Björn

• Etienne CAUSSE
    Options

Hi,

The mapping with a Diagonal Matrix seems the better option to me.

Regarding Replicated Entities, we have had a very bad experience when the cube are structured with a [R] entity that is not at the lowest leve, as in your case is SecPropClient.

Basically we had to restart with new cube structures because the drill down did not work properly.

Cheers,
    Etienne

• Paul Wyatt
    Options

Thank you all for your replies.  It's great to see several solutions to one problem as this really opens up so many more possibilities to different problems.  To summerise, there are 4 possible solutions:

1.   CSV - save to text and use file to populate anything - creates independent artefacts which could be lost and must be tracked on promotion trough Dev > UAT & Production.

2.   BOARD Replicated [R] Entities - How to use them - Exciting as I've not used this functionality yet but I do heed the warning from Bob Gill.  I will now be playing with [R] Entities on a dev model so thank you very much for pointing it out to me.

3.   ROLAP - Really clean, simple and fits fits with BI Best Practice.

4.   Mapping Cube - This is what I had originally set out to do but encountered issues.

I will go with the ROLAP approach - Thanks Björn Reuber.  However, Etienne CAUSSE, would you have a model I could look at (cpsx + hbmp) as I want to understand this approach and learn where I was going wrong?

Thanks all for your excellent advice.

• Brendan Broughton
    Options

No worries Paul Wyatt - Avison Young UK, as long as you found the solution you needed all is good.