Can you run multiple procedures concurrently

Options

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here.  I'm sure there is a way, it could be in procedure setup or it could be in BOARD server setup, i'm not sure, but keen to hear what suggestions others have.

Is there anyway to get BOARD to run multiple procedures concurrently?

At this client there are several users who a responsible for different entities within a group of companies. When they update their entity(s) budgets it requires a fairly lengthy procedure to be run to calculate and apportion quite a bit of data, and whilst this is being run it can delay other procedures from being run.

I am happy for the calculation of other entities/users budgets to have to wait whilst a budget procedure is running, that seems safest to me as they will be impacting the same cubes.

However what about procedures that use completely independent cubes? There are several screens which use dataviews with procedures to control user/screen selection. These procedures clear/set cubes to use for screen selection and so also get held up when a budget calculation procedure is being run.  These are the ones I'm more interested in.

Is there anyway to get multiple procedures happening at once (without clustering) or is that not going to be possible in BOARD?

Tagged:

Answers

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

We saw some improvements coming in BOARD 11 to address this behaviour at BOARDVille. Locking and parallelism should be much better. 

• Björn Reuber
    Options

Hi,

wirh current board version, the answer is, that it depend on the Procedure steps. Cause most steps can run in parallel with others. Some like DataReader, Clear cube, etc can't. So if you only use steps like DataFlow/Select, GotoScreen all Procedures can run in parallel.

With board 10.2 there will be some major changes on this

regards

Björn

• Paul Wyatt
    Options

BOARD 10 and below do not support concurrent processing, as Bob Gill has said.  Notwithstanding the points stated by Björn Reuber, the issue is not about disparate objects but with the BOARD Server.  With BOARD 11 and the B/eng (or Big Bang Engine), parallel processing and concurrent calculations will be possible as the engine has been configured to make better use of multiple cores and memory.  There is no need to change current system setup either, like adding more ram and cores, as the system will work with all current configurations.  That said, with increased resources, you would see a performance enhancement,  on top of the added versatility.

BOARD 11 is scheduled for release in Nov 2018, with three incremental releases prior to that.

• Paul Wyatt
    Options

Thanks Björn Reuber for that explanation which has really updated my understanding of the BOARD engine.  I have avoided concurrent server processes due to thinking user experience would be impacted. I wasn't aware that there were the circumstances that you've outlined which can run

• Brendan Broughton
    Brendan Broughton Active Partner
    Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Anniversary First Comment
    Options

Thanks Björn Reuber, I'll keep an eye on it next time to see what actions are 'waiting' to see what actions are impacted. From what I can recall it shouldn't be any of the ones that can't run concurrently, but something still seems to be waiting.  I assume it is enabled by default and they don't need to turn on a setting anywhere.