Access to a large number of tables in sql

Options
Stephen Kirk
Stephen Kirk Active Partner
Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Comment 5 Up Votes

I'm having an issue with a large sql database connected with BOARD that when the user scrolls through the tables available, it doesn't show all of the tables - it cuts off. Showing this:

Scrolled all the way down:

I cannot access tables past PUB.RM (sorted alphabetically)

However, if I use the filter:

I find more tables that are further down alphabetically.

Is there any way to be able to see all tables in a sql connection without beforehand knowing what they may be called?

Thanks,

Stephen

Tagged:

Answers

• Helmut Heimann
    Options

Hi Stephen Kirk!

As far as I know, there is no other way, since the search function implemented here will only search the displayed tables. So the workaround would be to look up the tables in your SQL database directly beforehand (where you sometimes can't search either) or you might be lucky to find a table in your sql database containing the metadata and you could search this beforehand--but since you might not know the name of the desired table this may prove difficult as well.

Kind Regards,

Helmut

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

One workaround is to update the login permissions of the SQL user. By selecting only the appropriate tables to which BOARD needs access, all the others will be hidden. 

• Paul Wyatt
    Options

Thanks Helmut Heimann & Bob Gill.  I had no idea of these limitations but am very pleased to have learnt about them from the question raised by Stephen Kirk.  Whilst I love to learn how to model with BOARD, I think it is equally important to understand limitations and what to do when thinks go wrong within a system.