Total By on 1 dimension cube

Options

Hello, 

My use case is as follow :  In one screen some users mark members of a dimension using a cube with checkbox. In another screen, different users should see the percentile of member marked that represent the selection they made.

Therefor, in one block I need to do a "Total By" to count how many member are marked overall, and do the ratio with my actual count for the selection.

But Is it possible to do a Total By on a 1 dimension cube?

Would have been nice to do Total By with the dimension you want to "remove" instead of the ones you want to keep. In this case and also when you have many dimension in your cube.

Regards,

Nicolas

Tagged:

Answers

• Alexander Kappes
    Options

Dear Nicolas CHIGROS,

thanks for your request.

In general a Total By for Cubes with only one dimension didn´t really make sense.

To get your request working I see two possible solutions:

1. For the case you have Userdimension inside your Database and Custom Selection Script, best case will be dimensioning the Checkbox Cube also by User. For that case one User can´t overwrite the values of another one and he is able to change his values. The report with the percentual view can be build up without the user dimension (e.g. by copying input cube by dataflow into reporting cube)

2. For the case you haven´t user dimension, my suggestion will be also using two cubes and additional procedure which copies from input to reporting cube (dataflow reporting cube = reporting cube + input cube). But be aware that this scenario has some disadvantages, e.g when one user is doing dataentry for several times it couldn´t been tracked what he had done.

Hope the idea helps a little solving your request

regards

Alexander Kappes

• Nicolas CHIGROS
    Nicolas CHIGROS Active Partner
    April Badge of the Month First Anniversary Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board
    Options

Hi Alexander Kappes!

Thank you for your answer!

However I can't disagree more with the following statement :

"In general a Total By for Cubes with only one dimension didn´t really make sense."

But it does! My use case is proof!

Otherwise

1. Adding a userdimension doesn't make sense in my context neither operationally or technically as the sum may get incorrect if two mark the same member
    2. I will be forced to do so. But it really seems overkill to do 0 dimension cube to get the total.

Regards,

Nicolas

• I'm not sure I understand how you are capturing what 1 user has entered vs others in a 1-dimensional cube. However, if you really need to come up with something like a total by, the closest thing I can think of is to create a parent entity of the entity your cube is dimensioned by with 1 member in it (called "all" or similar) and then map all children to that parent. Then you could put that cube with a reference to "all" on a layout to get the grand total of the cube.

HTH.

• Björn Reuber
    Björn Reuber Employee
    Community Captain First Answer First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi,

first of all, you can use a total by for a one dimensional cube and it can also make sense.

In my Example I got a 1 Dim cube on Product

My 2nd Block is this cube total by "Product Group", which is an aggregation from Product

as a result I got

So I can calculate the percentage from the Product on my overall sum

So as J C said, with a parent entity you shold get the result

Regards

Björn

• Nicolas CHIGROS
    April Badge of the Month First Anniversary Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board
    Options

Thank you for your answer and for actually backup that it make sense

My entity is standalone, but yeah I think I will add a "total" entity on top of it, it isn't ideal but that will do the trick.

Regards,

Nicolas

• Nicolas CHIGROS
    Options

I don't have to track 1 users vs others users. You're right adding a "Total" entity will do the trick. 

• Björn Reuber
    Options

Hi Nicolas,

according to definition of Total by: Allows aggregating an InfoCube to a higher aggregation than the level specified in the Axes. This function allows creating totals for calculating percentages or other indexes. [Source: References tab ] using it with a single entity doesnt make sense, cause according to what criteria the elements should be summarized.

Regards

Björn

• Nicolas CHIGROS
    Options

If having the whole total of a cube "doesnt make sense" so be it, but the whole total is actually a higher aggregation level.

To have a "total by" of a whole tree out of the box, not just on a upper entity would be nice. This function doesn't cover this case? yet I feel it could with some development. 

• Björn Reuber
    Options

Hi Nicolas

Nicolas CHIGROS wrote:

If having the whole total of a cube "doesnt make sense" so be it, but the whole total is actually a higher aggregation level.

Hi, but the whole total in a DV you can also get using DT/RT/GT function. The idea of the total by is to have the aggreagion according to a certain level of the tree (and yes you can get the overal total if you have a parent related to all elements)

But it seems we're having a different opinion on this

Regards

Björn