Should i use Fix Relationship?

Options

Dear everyone,

I found some orphans in my database. Should i use 'Fix Relationship' function. Because i found that if i keep the orphans, my report is not correct. Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks and best regards

William Le

Tagged:

Answers

• Helmut Heimann
    Options

Hi William Le,

you might want to have a look into this document:How to repair and prevent missing relationships in hierarchies 

This gives you an overview and describes the neccessary steps to be taken into consideration.

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Helmut

• William Le
    Options

Hi Helmut Heimann,

Thank you very much. It is very useful and informative. But I used 'Fix Relationship' function and it created a lot of dummy entity members. Do you know any way to undo or remove the dummy entity memebers? Thank you very much.

Thanks and best regards

William Le

• Alexander Kappes
    Options

HI William Le,

unfortunately the best case will be restoring a Backup and fixing the missing relations again.

My personal suggestion will be performing Backups before major Database Improvements like Fix Realtionships.

Hope it helps

regards

Alexander Kappes

• Daniele Di Lorenzo
    Options

Hello,

this is my experience

I never use the automatic "Fix relationships" since it generates such dummy items and there's no control on the process. I hope there will be improvements for this function in new versions (e.g. separate fixing for orphans and floating items, dummy items not visible, possibility to choose the fixing process on some selected relationships only...)

To repair orphans: I commonly print and relaod the tree assigning "_" code (as suggested in the doc)

To repair floatings: in most cases floating items (fathers without children) are not an issue, in some cases they're functional so rarely I need to repair them. In some cases I remove them manually (entities with poor variability) or with specific procedures that prints the entity involved and reload it populating the tree from the base.. the "dummy items" are set through an ETL rule. 

The difference vs the automatic fixing is that here I can decide the entity to repair and how to set the dummy item.

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

As Daniele Di Lorenzo described, I avoid the automatic tool also. I try to provide user screens  where subject matter experts can maintain tree relationships manually. On the same screen I run a normalize function onSave to propagate changes through the tree. The normalize can also introduce dummy members, so training users on how to maintain trees is important. 

• William Le
    Options

Dear All,

Thank you very much. It is very nice to know this information.

Thanks and bes regards 

William Le