Layout Script Tab and BQuery Macros

Options
Unknown
Unknown Active Partner
edited April 2020 in Platform

While exploring BOARD, I turned on the Show layout script tab feature to see what that's all about. This is under Board...Board Options.

imageimage

After enabling the feature, I noticed the BQuery tab show up on each of my layouts.

Exploring more, I found the articles on BOARD Excel Add-in Functions and VBA Integrations.pdf and BOARD Excel Add-in Functions and VBA Integrations - Excel examples It sounds like this script tab can be used on conjunction with the Microsoft Office Add-ins to build macros with more interesting behaviors.

This leads me to the discussion questions. Has anyone leveraged the scripting capability in BOARD, along with the Office Add-ins to build something they want to share? As BOARD transitions to the web, should this functionality be kept or deprecated? 

In my humble opinion, this feature is client-specific and macro-based scripts should be deprecated. This avoids possible upgrade issues where macros break on certain software versions. Macros can also be security concerns. Macros are run on the client-side rather than the server. I can certainly make an argument for why they are still valuable, but my opinion is they should be deprecated in favor of a server-side processing options, of which BOARD has many. I welcome all your viewpoints and thank you for sharing your perspectives.

Tagged:

Answers

• Björn Reuber
    Options

Hi,

I haven't got an example to share, but two use cases for BQuery. You need this, if you are using BOARD Webservice function (here you have to create an BQuery request. Furthermore you can use it to merge different Layouts (or to copy only a certain part of an complex layout to a different one). But for this scenario you must be carfully cause of the Algorithms (linked to the Blocks, which needed to be updated).

Regards

Björn

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

Ah, that helps. I thought it was more for macros, but now I understand it’s more for using the web service. 

Thanks Björn Reuber 

• Etienne CAUSSE
    Options

Same as Paul Wyatt - Avison Young UK, sometimes it's useful to check all your blocks parameters at once, but otherwise I did not find any proper use case. Although being able to copy part of a layout to a different layout could be useful sometimes (when you always call the same long series of cubes).

• Fethi ZERARA
    Fethi ZERARA Active Partner
    May Badge of the Month Community Captain First Anniversary Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi there!,

i enabled this option but i'm getting an error every time when i apply the BQuery , Is that normal? 

Here you can find a Screen of what 'im getting !

Thank you!