An uploaded zip file - when the user downloads it, how can we control what the filename will be?

Options
Michael Gerrard
Michael Gerrard Customer
First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Up Votes First Comment
edited October 2021 in Platform
A user can upload a zip file to Board. When they do that, the original filename is lost. The new file name is generated how? Can this be controlled? For example, could the zip file have a reference number derived from where it was uploaded in Board?

------------------------------
Michael Gerrard
UNHCR
http://www.unhcr.org
Tagged:

Answers

• Davide Corbetta
    Davide Corbetta Active Partner
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Hi Michael, at the moment (summer 21 release) there is non way to manage the name of files you store in a blob cube (all extensions).
    I can suggest this way I usually use:
    • create a TXT cube whith the same dimension of blob cube
    • put in the same layout you use for upload/download the file in dataentry mode
    • simply write the name or other informantion about the file
    Obvioulsy you can rename the file only manually, so this is non a solution but a way to retrive original name.

Davide Corbetta
    Senior Product Manager
    ADVISON SRL
    Italy
    -------------------------------------------
  • Michael Gerrard
    Michael Gerrard Customer
    First Anniversary 5 Likes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Thanks Davide. I don't want the original name. I want to give the file a reference as its name so when the user downloads it, they know what they are looking at. It is a shame if this cannot be done :-(

Michael Gerrard
    UNHCR
    http://www.unhcr.org
    -------------------------------------------
  • Christoph Goldner
    Options

I have the same Problem: I want the user to dowload a file form a BLOB cube but with a current timestamp in the filename. For example "Filename_@datetime" would be nice.

• Michael Gerrard
    Options

I agree Christoph. Users download the file, it has a generic name, if they share it, then it is easily mixed with other files. Being able to create the filename from the data Board knows at the time the user downloads it, that makes a lot of sense. My original post was from two years ago! But we should never give up hope, perhaps a Board colleague is hanging out here and will push this idea forward. Sometimes it's these small changes that make the difference.

• Holly Rieke
    Holly Rieke Employee
    DACH Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights 5 Likes
    admin
    Options

@Michael Gerrard @Christoph Goldner Thank you for posting to Community! If you haven't already, please consider adding your idea to the Idea Exchange to get more visibility. The Product Team is actively monitoring and engaged in that space.

• Leone Scaburri
    Options

Hi @Michael Gerrard,

files are named using member code/description of the most nested entity by row defined in the layout where you are downloading the file.

In the case of a .zip file you have the advantage that the content of the zipped folder keeps its name, so once extracted you could retrive the original name.