Temporary cubes

Options
Vasile Minea
Vasile Minea Active Partner
First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary Photogenic
edited December 2021 in Platform
Hello everyone,
I have very high expectation for temporary cubes and I make a lot of use of them for dataflows. 
Based on the documentation Board 11 Release Notes

Procedure Temporary Cubes

It is now possible to define within a Procedure one or more temporary cubes that are created and used only locally within the scope of the procedure. Temporary cubes are created at the start of the execution of the procedure and destroyed when the procedure ends. By nature, Temporary cubes only occupy RAM during the course of the execution of the procedure and are never physically stored to disk. Within the procedure, temporary cubes can be used as standard cubes, in Dataflow calculations (as target or source of a Dataflow), in selections, extract and other actions involving cubes.

Temporary cubes are defined in the procedure main property panel.

But I couldn't make use of them in any other scenario mentioned above.
I vote for ideas related to "if then else" procedure action 
https://community.board.com/contribute/ideation-home/viewidea?IdeationKey=3433961a-b03b-4991-aa3e-f0e66507c010

https://community.board.com/contribute/ideation-home/viewidea?IdeationKey=a251d67e-7304-4e08-b3a8-e1406fdf4f4d

After that, I create a new idea for allowing temporary cubes in different selections scenarios in stored procedures:
https://community.board.com/contribute/ideation-home/viewidea?IdeationKey=a251d67e-7304-4e08-b3a8-e1406fdf4f4d 
Unfortunately, my idea was archived, even if I really think there are numerous scenarios when we only need temporary cubes in the logic of the procedure, and we don't need them stored after that.

I would really like to make more used of temporary cubes, defined for procedure execution scope versus physicals cubes for mainly these reasons:
1. Limited number of cubes in a database (they were limited to 1000, on some databases the number wasn't enough, so we have to reuse some cubes). We didn't developed so much in B12, but I think there are 10000 allowed cubes now, so maybe these restriction is less important. 
2. Managing of a lot physicals cubes that are used only in some procedures and showed them to power users(we didn't make use of "hidden" property, because we have to switch it on and off after each procedure modification).
3. Clear the cubes after use in procedure, so that we do not have side effects, growing the procedure complexity.

What do you think about the possible extension of usage of temporary cubes, to achieve the original(intended) documented behavior?

------------------------------
Minea Vasile

Answers

• Salvatore Capuano
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Hello,

The extensions you are mentioning are in the development queue. It's not an easy development: as you probably already imagined, it's a deep change in the system and we started by releasing this the first part in order to allow to get the initial benefits that this feature is able to offer. In few words, we are working on that to achieve completion of the entire feature.

Regards,
    Salvatore

Salvatore Capuano
    Technology Manager
    Board Community
    -------------------------------------------
  • Vasile Minea
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @Salvatore Capuano, thank you very much for acknowledging our needs.
    I have another (a bit out of context) question, are we allowed to create more than 1000 cubes in V12?
    Salutations,

Minea Vasile
  • Salvatore Capuano
    edited December 2021
    Options
    At the moment is it possible to create more than 1000 cubes only on Databases natively created on Board 12 and not on ones migrated from Board 10. We are working on a way to do that also on migrated DBs but the solution is not yet ready.

Regards,
    Salvatore

Salvatore Capuano
    Technology Manager
    Board Community
  • Federico Cazzalini
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Dear @Minea Vasile,
    consider that even if currently you can not use more than 999 cubes in B12 in migrated databases, you can always add/use "virtual cubes" in migrated databases.

Often it is enough :)

hope this helps,
    federico

Federico Cazzalini
    Support Tech Lead
    Board Community
    Italy
  • Vasile Minea
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Yes, @Federico Cazzalini, a lot of my 1000 cubes are actually temporary cubes, so I can defined them only on the calculation procedures.
    Thank you both very much.

Minea Vasile