BOARD 12.3 - data entry via PASTE has 'changed'

Options
Brendan Broughton
Brendan Broughton Active Partner
Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Anniversary First Comment
edited May 2022 in Platform
Is there anyone else using 12.3 that has discovered you can no longer 'paste' values into a dataview and have them go across the row?  when you paste into a dataview, regardless of what cells you select BOARD now pastes them down the column.

Yesterday in 12.2 they went across the row... today after we've upgraded to 12.3 everytime we paste into a cell BOARD pastes the values down the row..even if I select multiple cells across the row, it will still paste them all going down the first column.

I'm really hoping this is not by design as it isn't mentioned anywheere in the release notes, and it will mean a lot of changes to a lot of dataviews/screens

------------------------------
Brendan
bbroughton@bi5.com.au
Australia
Tagged:

Answers

• Mark Cosham
    Mark Cosham Active Partner
    Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Photogenic 5 Likes
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hi Brendan,
    It looks like this was a deliberate change. From the release documentation https://www.boardmanual.com/2021/summer/whats-new-release-notes/2022-spring-release/board-2022-spring-release-whats-new.htm. Have a look at the link below - it shows how this is controlled.

Data entry on vertically aligned Layouts - It is now possible to perform data entry actions on Data Views that show data coming from a Layout with vertically aligned Blocks. This new feature gives Board users a true spreadsheet-like experience when manually entering data,  making it easier to analyze and manipulate data regardless of different experience levels.
    Read more about the Data entry on vertically aligned Layouts feature.

Mark Cosham
    Business Consultant
    LIGHTARC PTY LTD
    Australia
    -------------------------------------------
  • Brendan Broughton
    Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Thanks Mark, but from my reading that release note is referring to now being able to enter data into vertically aligned layouts ....I don't think it has anything to do with the direction that it pastes values into an existing data-entry enabled dataview (which would have to be horizontally aligned to allow data entry in the first place).

Previously you couldn't paste data into a verticaly aligned layout, as you couldn't even enter data into it. That is what has changed with 12.3, you can now data enter when it's vertically aligned.

But it seems (from my experience) that in allowing that they've now somehow affected the pasting of values into horizontally aligned dataviews, which is what people would already have set up on screens, as that is the only layout you could ever enter data into prior to 12.3.

I did discover that provided the excel format was of a certain type, and you wanted to paste less than 41 values it would work as it did before.  But if you wanted to paste more than 41 (eg 4 or 5 years of monthly) and/or the excel cell format was of certain types it either only paste the first month...or paste in a different direction (ie vertically).  The fact that format of the Excel value changes the direction in which it pastes is rather puzzling.

Brendan
    bbroughton@bi5.com.au
    Australia
  • Mark Cosham
    Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Photogenic 5 Likes
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hi Brendan, I was hopeful that it might help, but wasn't 100% sure but I expect that the two things are linked.

On a related matter, we've found an issue when pasting a large amount of data vertically in that if we are pasting up to 100 lines it works correctly, but if we paste more (several hundred lines) where some of the numbers have decimal places then the decimal part gets put into the next field so it is clear that this area still needs work. This issue has been logged to Board Support.

We're also doing further investigation with the Office plugin to allow the users to do the data entry/paste directly in Excel.

Mark

Mark Cosham
    Business Consultant
    LIGHTARC PTY LTD
    Australia
  • Brendan Broughton
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Are all of those in 12.3 also Mark?  They sound rather similar to what I've been experiencing so I can imagine they're related.  It's not great to hear, but it is reassuring that it's not just me or this particular client/instance/DB.

Brendan
    bbroughton@bi5.com.au
    Australia
  • Mark Cosham
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hi Brendan,
    That was on 12.3.0.
    Thankfully the client didn't need the cents so was able to force them to whole numbers in Excel and then paste those instead.
    I found it very odd that this issue only occurred when pasting more than 100 lines - pasting just a few that had decimal places worked fine when they were not part of a 100+ line group.

Mark Cosham
    Business Consultant
    LIGHTARC PTY LTD
    Australia
  • Jason Febo
    Jason Febo Active Partner
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights
    edited May 2022
    Options
    We did an upgrade specifically for the below functionality (copied from the manual) but we are experiencing the same  problems and more.   Copy/pasting sometimes fails, sometimes stops at ~100 rows, sometimes works.

From the manual:
    Pasting a large range of cells to a Data View for entering data. It is now possible to paste an unlimited range of cells from Excel to a Data View with data-entry enabled. Previously the range of cells was limited by the rows Data View virtualization size (100 rows and 100 columns), this limit has now been removed
  • Helmut Heimann
    Helmut Heimann Employee
    March Badge of the Month February Badge of the Month Community Captain April Badge of the Month
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Hi all,

I'd suggest you opened a ticket with our support regarding this behaviour.

Kind regards
    Helmut

Helmut Heimann
    Senior Consultant
    Board Community
    Germany
  • Brendan Broughton
    edited May 2022
    Options
    That's the first place I go Helmut, but it can sometimes take >1week for a reply (and I'm still waiting on this one too) so I thought I'd see how widespread it was or if it was just me.

Brendan
    bbroughton@bi5.com.au
    Australia