Ability to pass selection as variables to SQL data readers to optimise query performance

Options
Navan Mehra
Navan Mehra Employee
Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights 5 Likes First Anniversary
edited January 2022 in Idea Exchange
What is your idea?
Ability to pass the selection as variables to SQL data readers to optimise query performance

What specific problem are you trying to find a solution to, or what new scenario would this idea respond to?
When using SQL data readers, we usually write SQL queries that cover all members of entities in the cube to which data is loaded. But numbers of records on the underlying table could be quite high and it would be really helpful to pass the selection to SQL query to reduce the number of records from the source.

Eg: I have a SQL table holding 10 years of data. In order to give my end-user an option to pull data for just 1 month based on dynamic selection, I need to still pull all the records and then Board will filter out the records which meet the selection criteria and load them into Board. If it was possible to pass this month name or month code to my SQL query, the number of records would reduce drastically

What workaround have you found and used so far (if any)?
If the selection is related to the current or prior period, we can leverage the SQL server system date. But in case of selecting a specific period or in order to pull data for a specific entity member, it is not possible to do anything other than pull all data and then filter

What is your role in your organization?
Member of Professional Services group at Board Australia
2 votes

Archived · Last Updated