API Related Query

Options
Kavya Shree
Kavya Shree Active Partner
Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Comment First Anniversary
edited March 2023 in Platform

Hello everyone!

I wanted to know, what is the maximum number of line items that can be transferred using an API.
Can anyone provide information or point me in the right direction to find out more? Thank you.

Answers

• Andrea Duò
    Options

Hi @Kavya Shree,

it really depends case by case. In general, more than on the number of line items or rows, the limit is usually given by the data package size, which as you can imagine depends on many factors, such as number of fields and content of each field.

If from Board you are calling an external API that returns data in chunks, aka “pages”, then this will define the maximum number of record each call can retrieve.

If from an external API client you are pulling Board data from the Board APIs, then the maximum number of records that you can pull will be determined by the layout executed on the Board server and the timeout your client applies when waiting for the result dataset.

Andrea

• Holly Rieke
    Holly Rieke Employee
    DACH Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights 5 Likes
    admin
    Options

Thank you for your question and answer. We have moved this post to the appropriate forum, for your reference.

• Kavya Shree
    Kavya Shree Active Partner
    Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2023
    Options

Hello @Andrea Duò,

Thank you for your response. There is no timeout when pulling data from Board into Postman. However, I'm still curious about the point you mentioned earlier, which was that "the maximum number of records that can be pulled is determined by the layout executed on the Board server." Could you please explain this in more detail?

Also, I was testing an API call from one Board instance to another, and during my testing, I encountered an issue where parameters only seem to work when hardcoded and not when using substitution formulas. Do you have any insights into why this might be happening? I appreciate any information you can provide on this matter.