More options in the BULK INSERT function

Options

I think that the BULK INSERT function, has a lot of potential, whatsoever, it is very limited right now, it would help a lot to add more functions other than INSERT INTO.

For example right now I'm trying to upload the hierarchies of our database to a SQL Database, if instead of INSERT we could also have access to the REPLACE function it would help a lot because we could have our hierarchy uploaded and updated to the SQL every time we make any change to it in BOARD.

Only having access to INSERT makes the task mentioned before impossible, because it will always add the hierarchy every time we execute the procedure.

Thanks 😀

23 votes

Released · Last Updated

Comments

• Ivano Savogin
    Options

Hi Andreu, thanks for adding the Idea! Really appreciated it.

Here's my "thumbs up"

Regards

Ivano

• Nicolas CHIGROS
    Nicolas CHIGROS Active Partner
    April Badge of the Month First Anniversary Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board
    Options

I like the Idea. But isn't it already possible in advanced mode?!

I'm on premise and using PostgreSQL with an ODBC connector as a target, and basically any query type works just fine for me. (truncate / delete / insert (with on ON CONFLICT) / etc…)

Is it a Cloud Pipeline restriction?

• Andreu Companys
    Andreu Companys Active Partner
    Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Anniversary First Comment
    Options

Thanks Nicolas! You are right in some way it is available right now, i tried before adding the DELETE and it didn't work but now when trying it on a diferent BULK INSERT command it worked properly.

I still think that it would help to add more functions and to have some sort of guide that helps us understand better how this functionality works and how can we use it to reach is maximum potential.

Thanks a lot for your input, it really solved my issue 😀

• Nicolas CHIGROS
    Nicolas CHIGROS Active Partner
    April Badge of the Month First Anniversary Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board
    Options

Glad it was helpful !

• Jason Febo
    Jason Febo Active Partner
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights
    Options

Hi @Andreu Companys and @Nicolas CHIGROS - seems like you both are having success with the bulk import feature…what versions are you on?

We have not been able to use this feature in 12.5 (because of a bug per support). We just get an error message that says check the SQL log but no additional detail is logged. Hopefully there is some trick that you have found.

• Nicolas CHIGROS
    Options

Hi @Jason Febo ,

I've use it in 12.4 and 12.5 both on cloud and onpremise. didn't test it in 12.6 yet

Regards,

Nicolas CHIGROS