We are currently experiencing issues with some images in Community and are working to correct this quickly. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

How to add row number across an entire dataview?

Options
J_Wat
J_Wat Active Partner
Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Comment

Hi there,

I'm trying to add a column which contains the row number across my entire dataview, rather than restarting with every subtotal. Unfortunately, the different entities included in the dataview are not from the same tree, so I can't keep the most granular entity in the rows and display the others in a different column.

I've tried using a Nexel as follows: =Count( [@a;*;Range.whole])

It has two problems, firstly, it displays the total row count for the sub-section of the dataview in each row. More importantly, the count resets at each subtotal.

I'm confident that I could overcome the first problem with some tinckering, but could someone please help me to count over the entire dataview, not just for each subsection?

I've attached a screenshot for reference. Don't worry about customer names, this is just a mock-up dataset that I'm using to troubleshoot.

Answers

• Willians Santana
    Options

Hi @J_Wat ,

How are you doing? I hope you are having a great day!

Please, let me know if you have already validated the following potential solution:

1. Add a block to the underlying data view as a Ranking
    2. Set the Ranking block as a counter
    3. Apply the changes and check the results in the data view

I am all ears for you.

Best Regards,

Willians

• J_Wat
    J_Wat Active Partner
    Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Comment
    edited May 2023
    Options

Hello Willians,

I'm well thank you! I hope you are too, and thank you for getting back to me.

Is the solution you're suggesting as follows:

If so, the problem is that the count restarts after every subtotal, I want a counter that continues uninterrupted across subtotals, so the 1 for the counter corresponding to Product: Ikura, Customer: Christina Berglund would instead be 31:

Many thanks,

Joe

• Willians Santana
    Options

You are very welcome, @J_Wat! Yes. Thank you for your message!

That's the solution I was referring to.

Please, let me know if you go to the underlying Data View properties, 

section "MULTIPLE ENTITIES BY ROW OPTIONS" 

set the "Flatten Groups Level" to Products, 

does it solve the issue of resetting the counter per section?

• J_Wat
    J_Wat Active Partner
    Options

I have done as you suggested, and unfortunately the count still resets when the product changes:

• Willians Santana
    Options

Thank you for your feedback, @J_Wat! I am double-checking potential solutions for that and will reply soon.