200 - Building a Planning Solution in Board - Version entity is empty?

Options
Giles Corner
Giles Corner Employee
First Anniversary Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights First Answer
edited July 2023 in Academy

Hi team,

I've had a query from one of our trainees at a Partner, the "Version" entity in their datamodel is empty (no members) and I can't see within the training where this should have been populated. Users are not asked to build a data-reader to populate OR manually add members to this entity, can you advise?

Thanks,

Giles

Answers

• TJ Barber
    TJ Barber Employee
    April Badge of the Month March Badge of the Month 5 Likes First Comment
    Options

Hey Giles,
    This is in reference to a step in Module 204: Build the sales Data Model. Currently the version Entity is set up to be for future proofing the solution. We don't use it for the Level 200 build but it's in place so that a user can use it for adding versioning in Level 300.

This has caused a bit of confusion and I'm going to talk with the team about it's removal or reworking in the content. For now, you can let the Partner know they haven't built anything wrong or missed anything, the Entity is currently just a best practice add for future expansions.

#Level 200: Building a Planning Solution

• Crystal Zhao
    Crystal Zhao Employee
    Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights First Anniversary 5 Likes
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hi Giles,

That's a great point. The actual Version should only be populated with one entity: Budget. I also was not able to find exactly where it tells you to add "Budget" as an entity member, but a screenshot in 206: "Build a Procedure to propagate the PY sales data to budget" has the member Budget - Budget on step 5: "Select budget version."

• Giles Corner
    Options

Hi @TJ Barber , thanks for the response, this is causing issues further on in 206 as that asks the trainee to build a cube structured by Version and flow data in.

• TJ Barber
    TJ Barber Employee
    April Badge of the Month March Badge of the Month 5 Likes First Comment
    Options

Ah, I follow now, it is an error in the training, I will update it and have a new verison pushed out in the next day or so.

• Jeremy Hall
    Options

Yeah, I just had to create it myself as it was missing that step prior to being told to select it. It definitely caused some confusion!