Board Office Add-In no longer works

Options

Hi,

for one Board user we had installed the Office Add-In 12.5 and that worked. The Board tab was visible in Excel.

But from one day to the next the Board tab disappeared from Excel.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Office Add-In, but the Board tab no longer appears in Excel.

However, it was working until recently.

What can I do now to restore the Board tab in Excel?

Regards

Oliver

Tagged:

Answers

• Samson Sunny
    Options

Hi Oliver,

This could be related to add-ins for excel not loading after a Microsoft security update

Kindly try the following:

1. Open Excel Options -> Add-Ins -> Manage: Excel-Add-Ins at the bottom

2. Choose Automation and select the Board functions from the list

3. Should you run into the mscoree.dll not found error it is possible that for some reason a registry key for the location of the mscoree.dll is not set correctly. To rectify that try the below steps:

- check that you have mscoree.dll under C:\Windows\System32\mscoree.dll

- open regedit and look for Board.ExcelFunctions under Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

- under Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Board.ExcelFunctions\CLSID you should find a Default value. Retrieve the (default) value from the sub-key CLSID.

- when you have the value you need to search for it (only Keys)
    - you should find the key under Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\CLSID\
    - open InprocServer32 and change the Default value from mscoree.dll to

C:\Windows\System32\mscoree.dll

4. Restart Excel and try Steps 1 and 2 again

Problem described in:

Automation add-ins for Excel are not loading after installing April 2021 security update (microsoft.com)

Thanks,
    Samson.

• Oliver Röll
    Options

Hi Samson,

thank you very much for the support.

For me, however, it looks different in Excel than in your instructions.

The following is displayed for "Manage Excel Add-Ins":

There are no BoardExcelAddin.BoardFunctions.

I need to select "COM-Add-Ins":

The "Board 12 Excel Add-In" is displayed there:

However, there is no Automation button here.

The add-ins in Excel look like this. The Board Excel Add-In is displayed under inactive add-ins:

The mscoree.dll not found error was not displayed.

How can I reactivate the Board 12 Excel Add-in?

Kind regards

Oliver

• Zachary Turner
    Options

What version of Office are you using? Are you using the 32 or 64-bit version of the Add-in?

• Oliver Röll
    Options

We are using Office 2016 and the 32-bit-version of the Add-in.

• Zachary Turner
    Options

I'm going to assume Office 2016 is 32-bit in this case. If Office 2016 is 64-bit, please try the 64-bit version of the Add-in.

If the issue persists, please skip to step 3 in Samson's steps above:
    3. Should you run into the mscoree.dll not found error it is possible that for some reason a registry key for the location of the mscoree.dll is not set correctly. To rectify that try the below steps:

- open regedit and look for Board.ExcelFunctions under Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

- under Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Board.ExcelFunctions\CLSID you should find a Default value. Retrieve the (default) value from the sub-key CLSID.

C:\Windows\System32\mscoree.dl

4. Restart Excel and try Steps 1 and 2 again

• Oliver Röll
    Options

For the Office Add-in, we can only install the bit version that is also installed for Excel, otherwise the Office Add-in installation terminates immediately.

I do not get the error message "mscoree.dll not found".

• Vikash Gupta
    Options

@Oliver Röll - in case the issue is still existing, in the post from Samson above, there is a screen shot where he has asked you to go to Manage Excel Add-ins and select Automation. In the Automation Servers windows that pops up, you need to select the BoardExceladdin.Boardfunctions option and click on Ok. This would then get the excel add-in functions back. While doing this in case you get the error message popup saying: mscoree.dll not found error, then you would need to follow the steps below to fix the same:

C:\Windows\System32\mscoree.dl

Close and open Excel, and please check if the Board add-in appears and you are able to use it.

Regards,

Vikash