Moving a new model from sandbox to production

Options

What is the best method of moving a newly developed model from the Sandbox environment to production using vs 12.6 in the cloud?

Answers

• Hi Ian,

Please see below the link for Board Transporter tool that is used to move dev models between Sandbox and Prod.

https://www.boardmanual.com/2021/summer/administration/4-transporter/Transporter-overview.htm?rhsearch=transporter&rhhlterm=transporter%20transporting

Hope this helps

Dom

• Samson Sunny
    Options

Hi Ian,

The best way to move a database between sandbox to production or vice-versa is to have the cloud team do it. You just need to create a case on the Customer Support Portal and the cloud ops team will copy the database over to the production environment. Note, this request requires a stop/start of the Board Services on both environment.

An alternative approach to move a database from sandbox to production or vice versa, would be to create a backup to Z: from sandbox and then restore it from drive Z: to production.

As my colleague Dominique talked about the Transporter, its best used when migrating metadata changes between the development/sandbox and the production environment.

Thanks,
    Samson.

• Ian Bradley
    Options

Hi Dom,

I created a new model in production to move over the one from sandbox, mirroring the time range setup. I now can't access that new model in production as it says I have insufficient privilege's, even though I just created it!

• Samson Sunny
    Options

Hi Ian,

I viewed the logs from my end and I think the issue could be related to renaming of the database that has caused this "Insufficient Privileges" issue. Try restarting the Board services and check if you are able to remove the data model. If you still aren't able to, kindly raise a case to the cloud ops team in Customer Support Portal and they will be able restart the server and remove the data model.

As mentioned earlier, the best way to move a database between sandbox to production or vice-versa is to have the cloud team do it.

Thanks,
    Samson.

• Ian Bradley
    Options

I restarted the server and web services but it didn't fix the issue so I've opened a ticket with support.

Thanks

Ian

• Federico Cazzalini
    Options

Dear @Ian Bradley ,

good for the ticket - we will check together through that

meanwhile, a tip useful for everyone - did you check if your board user has the right "database security" set up?

usually that error message (insufficient privileges) refers to a missing security grant.

about moving the database, instead.

I agree with the 2 suggestions:

if you need to deploy some metadata-changes > use the Board Transporter

if you need to move a whole database > open a ticket to the Cloud Team and organize with them (but remember always that you can also do it by yourself, using the drive z:\ and the backup/restore procedure action)

hope this helps :)

federico