Is there a way to extract a file name in the data reader ETL?

Options
Anastasia Vladimirova
edited October 2023 in Platform

Hi Board Community!

I am working on creating an ETL logic to dynamically extract months to a correct fiscal year. The complication comes in because there are some of the future years that need to roll up to the year end of the particular (past) year. I know that there is the formula in excel that allows you to extract the file path in a cell ( =Cell("filename") ). I tried using it in the ETL, but it didn't work. I am curious to see if there is an alternative way on how we can extract the file name of the connected file in the data reader?

Thank you in advance for your responses!

Tagged:

Accepted Answers

• Gary Beardsley
    Gary Beardsley Employee
    Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights First Comment 5 Likes
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Anastasia,

The only potential solution I can think of for this one, is to do this at the time of file creation before the file comes into Board. At this point you could add a column to the file and generate the filename into this column using the formula above. I am not aware of solution to do this in Board.

Kind regards,

Gary

• Scott Bloxsome
    Scott Bloxsome Employee
    First Anniversary Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights 5 Up Votes
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Anastasia,

Gary is correct to my knowledge, the CELL() function isn't recognised on a flat file, if the file is being created by the customer then it would be best to do this at that stage. If Board is creating it then there may be some kind of solution to populate a column with the file name as text, but my guess is it's the former.

Thanks

Scott

Answers