"Analysis" For Data Readers and Procedures

Options

I would find it helpful if there was an option for Data Readers and Procedures to have a similar setting that Entities have, the Analysis view.

I am referring to the sections that appear when you click on an entity in the data model, that shows Cubes, Sparsity, Data Flow, Screens, Procedures, Rules. Something similar for data readers and procedures would be very helpful.

I run 10.6 version of Board so this may already be implemented, if so I apologize.

7 votes

Released · Last Updated

Comments

• Peter Foulkes
    Options

Hey Matthew,

The Impact Analysis tool in v12 can be used to understand how objects such as data readers are related to other objects in the data model. It is particularly useful when troubleshooting and trying to understand from which procedure a reader may have been executed or which reader may have updated a specific entiry for example.

This may meet your needs but if there is anything specific you think is missing, do let us know.

• Samir Jones
    Samir Jones Active Partner
    5 Up Votes 5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer
    Options

Hi @Peter Foulkes,

Maybe I should post this as a separate Idea, but I will try to ask/comment in this thread first.

In Impact Analysis, when looking for connections for a DM Procedure, we don't see the link to Capsule Procedures.

This is a liability since a lot of Capsule Procedures calls DM Procedures. Reasons:

• Changing a name of a Procedure is not automatically updated in the linked Procedure's Call Procedure step, which causes the Procedure to crash/stop, if the name is not updated.
    • Removing/Recycling a DM Procedure, and not knowing there's a connection to a Capsule Procedure can be devastating.

Is there another way of checking connections to Capsule Procedures?

We are on version 12.6 0.2.88217.

Thank you

• Product Management Team
    Product Management Team Employee, Group Leader
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Likes Name Dropper
    edited March 8
    Options

Thank you for sharing your idea, @Matthew Sobon. We appreciate the time and effort you put into crafting your suggestion.

Great news, as for the idea you described, it has already been released in the B14 Beta and is related to the Impact Analysis tool. As for @Samir Jones's idea, we plan to build improvements in the Impact analysis area.

Please have a look and test it and if you continue experiencing the same behavior let us know.

• Lorenzo Aiani
    Lorenzo Aiani Employee
    First Anniversary 5 Likes First Answer Name Dropper
    edited March 8
    Options

Hi @Samir Jones ,

in reality the connection between Procedure and Capsule procedure is shown in Impact analysis. It is not very clear (and probably it can be an area for enhancements).

In Impact Analysis, the DB procedures when called from a capsule procedure are shown as Capsule procedure.

I show you one example based on one of my project:

the one on the left it's a capsule procedure, while the one on the left is in reality a DB procedure.

looking at the step:

So, if you look for your DB procedure, filtering by procedure name, you should be able to find all the connections.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Lorenzo

• Samir Jones
    Samir Jones Active Partner
    5 Up Votes 5 Likes First Anniversary First Answer
    Options

@Lorenzo Aiani, thank you for clarification!

• Lorenzo Aiani
    Options

You're welcome.
    there's one additional trick on Impact analysis that I think it worth to be shared.
    if you need to know where objects are used inside one screen you can have the detailed view in Impact analysis.

as an example, I need to know where my procedure are called in my screens, if I select on the left panel both capsule and procedure, like this:

the Analysis tells me that my procedure, in my case "AMS - Confirm Office" is used in capsule "internal check" screen "Align Office confirmed"

but if I expand my capsule on the left panel:

the information in the table automatically changes and now it tells me that my procedure is used in that screen as Drill procedure:

and then if it's used in labels or buttons.

the same for cubes (if used in Data view block, in data view with Data entry, in dynamic selection, in suggested values… )

Regards,

Lorenzo