How to dynamically display the user selected value when a data view is set as master object

Options

On the left I have a P&L hierarchy driven report set as master object.

When I click on a row, the charts on the page change.

I would like to display the current row that was click on in the master object.

Trying this, no luck:

@Selection_Ex(Layout="P&L", Block=" ")

Version 12.6

Thanks!

Matt

Answers

• Samson Sunny
    Options

Hi Matthew,

@selection would always return the screen selection. Instead try @entity, which should return the specific selection of entity member selected in the master object.

Thanks,
    Samson.

• Zachary Turner
    Options

Additionally, the Board manual outlines the substitution formulas available to use in Board.

https://www.boardmanual.com/2021/summer/capsules/screens/Substitution_formulas.htm

• Matthew Brown
    Options

Thanks Zachary, Samson - I could've sworn I tried those but the case sensitive portion is probably what I was missing. I have a label that shows something like 164/5000 now when the page initially loads. Once a user beings clicking, it shows the correct value. Not a big deal, but is there a way to hide the label or showing something more meaningful than the 164/5000?

Again, thanks for the helpful response!

Matt

• Samson Sunny
    Options

Hi Matthew,

The reason you are seeing 164/5000 is because there is already a screen selection on the entity, thus showing you only 164 entity members out of the 5000 in the screen.

To have a meaningful value in the label, as a workaround, instead of having a substitution formula, go into the layout of the label, drag in a cube and the entity in the data area. Then drag the entity on the "BY ROW" axis and finally go into the object properties and choose the 2nd data block i.e. the entity in the "Show Value" block.

This would show you the default entity member and would according to what the user selects on the master object.

Hope this helps. I am sure there would be many other ways to bring in meaningful data into the label.

Kindly refer the board manual that can give ideas on creating better label objects.
    https://www.boardmanual.com/2023/summer/capsules/screens/objects/label/creating-a-label-object.htm?rhsearch=label&rhhlterm=label

Thanks,
    Samson.