Unbalanced Hierarchies - Entry on a Parent Level

Options

Good morning, dear community,

I'm seeking advice on a data entry challenge involving an unbalanced hierarchy. Is there a way to perform data entry at the parent level and propagate the values top-down to the leaves? Specifically, I want to apply an allocation percentage to all the leaves associated with "Parent 1." Here's an illustration of what I'm aiming for:

Before:
Parent 1    75
  Child 1
  Child 2
  Child 3

After:
Parent 1    75
  Child 1   75
  Child 2   75
  Child 3   75

I appreciate any tips and ideas you may have.

Thank you!

Answers

• Tommaso Riva
    Options

Hi @Fethi ZERARA,

please have a look to our How-To use Unbalanced Hierarchy.

You will be able to perform Data entry actions on parent members and the data will be proportionally distributed on children members following the split and splat logic, which implies that you must first perform a Data entry action on a leaf node or at least the leaf node must already be populated.

Regards,

Tommaso

• Fethi ZERARA
    Fethi ZERARA Active Partner
    May Badge of the Month Community Captain First Anniversary Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights
    Options

@Tommaso Riva , thank you for your answer,

The constraint is that we cannot use the Split and Splat logic since the cube isn't populated!

The Idea is to populate a parent with a percentage and then apply this percentage on the Leaves!

Example :

Step 1 : we go from 0 and we enter a percentage of 35%

Step 2 : All the Leaves of that specific Parent should have the 35%

Step 3 : That percentage will be used in order to calculate a KPI per Leaf

I hope it's clearer now :)

Regards,

Fethi Zerara

• Sophie Jones
    Options

Hi @Fethi ZERARA

As Tommaso said, I think the only way you can enter on the parent level is if you have data in the leaf nodes to enable split and splat. It would be great if you could enter at parent level and it automatically splits across - perhaps an enhancement idea?

One thing I have been doing which is a bit more fiddly is to use a procedure to populate the children levels. I enter the value I want it to be in another cube, select the members on the unbalanced hierarchy (parent and descendants) and then a dataflow procedure to populate.

• Fethi ZERARA
    Fethi ZERARA Active Partner
    May Badge of the Month Community Captain First Anniversary Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights
    edited November 2023
    Options

hi @Sophie Jones ,

Thank you for the feedback!

I thought about it but my issue with that is that If you use the select step ( selecting the Descendents / Leaves of that specific Parent ) using a procedure than you would have a problem if you reload the Unbalanced Entity because the order of its members will change and thus calculation problems!

Regards,

Fethi Zerara