Unbalanced Hierarchy - selecting descendants not available when "show only active members is ticked"

Options

Hi,
Has anyone come across on unbalanced hierarchies where if you have "Show only active members" selected in design mode, you then can't use the descendants option to select multiple members when you use the selector in play mode? 

I don't understand why you wouldn't be able to still select descendants on the list that's available to select from?

Answers

• Scott Bloxsome
    Options

Hi Sophie,

This is because the natural behaviour of an entity is each individual entry is a member in its own right. This would be the same if you only had some child members (not all child members) of a standard parent entity selected, you'd be able to select on the parent entity but it would keep the selection on the child entity to combine the two. My guess is this would be the same with an un-balanced hierarchy, to see it you'd have to have all children of an unbalanced parent selected to see them all.

• Sophie Jones
    Options

Thanks @Scott Bloxsome in the example above, the selection i have in design mode is for training and education and all of its children.

I would have thought that the selection of "descendents" or "siblings" etc is just a way to be able to select multiple children on the select window without needing to select each one individually?

• Alberto Cellini
    Options

Not sure of the answer to this but we have been struggling with the Descendants selection not available in the Block Reference. Maybe the reason for this behaviour is the same?

• Sophie Jones
    Options

Hi Alberto

would the descendant be unavailable in block reference because you can only pick one entity member for block reference?