Connect Board to Fabric Warehouse

Options

Hello,

We would like to use Fabric with its Warehouse for our Board Data. How can we connect Board to it?

Kind regards,

Marco Oerder

Answers

• Crystal Zhao
    Options

Hi Marco,

Thanks for reaching out. There doesn't appear to be a native connector for Fabric, but there are probably multiple ways that you can still get the data into Board. Is there a way in Fabric to do a scheduled export of data either into a flat file or using APIs? If you can find a way to get that data exported directly onto the Cloud Storage drive, then you can easily use data readers in Board to pick up that data and put it into your cubes.

• Samson Sunny
    Options

Hi Marco,

As Crystal pointed there is no native connector for Fabric but I believe you can use the JDBC connector in the Data pipeline to connect to the Azure synapse data warehouse used in Microsoft Fabric.

Thanks,
    Samson.

• Marco Oerder
    Options

Hi Samson,

Thanks for your quick response. But we have an onprem installation. There is no JDBC connector. Should be possible with normal OLEDB?!

Kind regards,

Marco

• Andries de Vries
    Options

Hi Marco,

Are you running Board on-premise or Fabric on-premise (or both even)?

Assuming that Fabric is on-premise, it depends if you can make a regular ODBC/OLEDB connection to the datasource. If this is possible you could use the on-premise connector to connect the created ODBC connection and make it available to the cloud platform.

• Marco Oerder
    Options

Hi Andries,

Fabric is a Microsoft Cloud service. Our Board system is "onprem" in Azure. I got it with a connection over ODBC. LogIn with a service principal.

Thanks at all.

Marco

• Hi @Marco Oerder

usually when you work with Board on-premise the first choice is to use a ODBC driver installed on the server where your Board Server is installed.

the driver must be 64 bit and "system DSN".

Board does not provide a native odbc for Fabric, but usually the external data-sources provide their odbc during their installation.

did you already try this way?

alternatively, for sure you can also use an OLE-DB connection string.

I hope this helps!

federico

• just saw your answer - thanks for sharing, @Marco Oerder !