RUNNING TASK : MORE POSSIBILITIES TO STOP A TASK

Options

Some tasks are launched and, as an administrator, you can't stop them.
It's very annoying, especially as there's no explanation.
So you may have to open a ticket
Would it be possible to have clear information about why a running task cannot be stopped?
And perhaps have the means to stop it anyway, knowing the consequences?

14 votes

Open For Voting · Last Updated

Comments

• Nico Weber
    Nico Weber Active Partner
    May Badge of the Month New Community Member April Badge of the Month March Badge of the Month
    Options

Under "System Administration - Monitoring - Running tasks" you can see an overview of all currently running tasks and there you can force them to stop.

• Aude Monin
    Aude Monin Customer
    5 Up Votes Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Comment
    edited December 2023
    Options

It is precisly in this screen that some running tasks cannot be stopped . So in such case, I would like explanations and possibility to stop even so

• Nico Weber
    May Badge of the Month New Community Member April Badge of the Month March Badge of the Month
    Options

Here is the link to the respective explanation in the board reference manual:

I hope this helps.

• Aude Monin
    Options

Hello, Thanks for your answer but it does not help 🤔
    I talk about the cases when clicking on STOP does not stop the running task

So in such a case, It would be nice to have explanations and to stop even so

• Nico Weber
    Options

Yes you are right.

Sometimes a click on "stop" does not stop the running tasks when the server is under huge load.

Then you have to go to the "Cloud Administration / Administration Portal" to restart the Board Engine manually.

• Krisztina Zappert
    Options

Hi,

I agree with @Aude Monin that this would be a really good feature.

@Nico Weber you bring great points, but it would be good to have something "between" the current stop button, and the nuclear server restart option. (What if some people are working on another data model? I might have something stuck in my data model, but they don't) If nothing else, information about what exactly is preventing the procedure from stopping.

BR,

Krisztina

• Aude Monin
    Options

Hello Krysztina !

That is exactly the idea 😀 : have something between

• BENOIT ROLLAND EYROLLES
    Options

Hello @Aude Monin , @Krisztina Zappert ,

I also experienced the issue of clicking on "STOP" for a running task without getting any effective impact.

To be honest, I was restarting the services few seconds after due to my lack of patience…

For now, I'm used to click several times (in a second) on "STOP" button until the running task is finally stopped.

@Nico Weber ,

It looks like the button doesn't stop the whole procedure, but only currently running step of the procedure. It's a guess and can't ensure it.

Could anyone confirm this?

• Nico Weber
    Options

Hello @BENOIT ROLLAND EYROLLES,

The "STOP" button should stop the whole procedure and not just the currently running step.

But of course all changes due to already executed steps of the procedure still persist.

• BENOIT ROLLAND EYROLLES
    Options

@Nico Weber

"button should stop": doubt seems shared on scope of the button.

Thanks Nico.

• Hi @Nico Weber @BENOIT ROLLAND EYROLLES

From my experience, if a data flow is writing the result to the target cube, the process can't be stopped via "STOP" button. Same with a data reader, if it has started writing the result to Board DB, you can stop its execution with the engine restart only.

It would be good to have an option to stop these DB writing tasks without restarting the engine.

Thanks,

Anastasia