New Exit Procedure Step for exiting/stopping the complete procedure process (for nested procedures)

Options

1. What is your idea?
Introduce a new procedure step which exits/stops the complete procedure execution even if the procedure which uses this new exit step is a nested procedure (was executed inside another procedure).

2. What specific problem are you trying to find a solution to, or what new scenario would this idea respond to?
If the current Exit Procedure Step is used inside a procedure which was executed from within another (main) procedure the procedure is exited but the procedure which executed the procedure still continues to run.

To be able to stop the complete procedure process you have to write a value inside a cube in the nested procedure and check that cube in the main procedure which executed the procedure for that value.
If the check is fulfilled another Exit Procedure Step has to be executed to exit/stop the complete (main) procedure process after all.

With the requested new Exit Procedure Step it would be possible to ensure that the complete procedure process is exited/stopped right away without any further logic.

Tagged:
10 votes

Open For Voting · Last Updated

Comments

• Helmut Heimann
    Options

I like the idea, but wouldn't it be even better if procedure calls would provide a return code that you could handle in the calling procedure?
    I think of other environments as well - even the API call of a Board procedure will, after the call, get a handle on the procedure running and then a status (which unfortunately only says "completed"; whether the run was successful or not).

• Nico Weber
    Nico Weber Active Partner
    April Badge of the Month March Badge of the Month DACH 5 Up Votes
    edited February 21
    Options

Sure, introducing a return code for nested procedures which then can be handelt would be an alternative solution.

The it would be necessary to introduce a possibility to define what the return code of a nested procedure is.

• Carlos Eduardo Meneses Maran
    Options

@Nico Weber, I agree with you. With the new step you propose, we will no longer have to worry about making a new cube and new selections to integrate a control in the middle of numerous nested procedures, and with possible concurrency issues to deal with.