How to create a variance on one cube detailed by version

Options
Marius Lubbe
Marius Lubbe Active Partner
Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Comment First Anniversary
edited April 24 in Academy

Hi,

I am trying to create a variance column based on one cube that is detailed by version.

The problem that we have is we have data in one cube by different versions. We have to create a report to compare versions together but we must be able to select any versions which means I cannot create a block reference on teh cubes for versions.

Is there a way to calculate a varience if this is my setup?

Kind Regards

Marius

Tagged:

Answers

• Marius Lubbe
    Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Comment First Anniversary
    Options

Hi @Leone Scaburri,

Thank you for the above link but none of these two steps would be able to help in this specific scenario.

The problem with my scenario is all of my forecast data is located in one cube called "Forecast" and what I am trying to have the report do is to give the user the capability to select from a selector the two versions that they want to view and see a variance of the two selected. And this needs to be at random. So I cannot use the block reference option or the procedure method as we have no idea what the two versions would be that they are trying to compare.

So is there a way to use one cube being the "Forecast" cube and show a variance column in a report in Board?

Kind Regards Marius

• Bart Scott
    Bart Scott Active Partner
    Photogenic Community Captain First Anniversary Advocate
    Options

You could have two blocks, same cube, with a variance between the two blocks and a Button for selecting the scenarios wanted. The button can call a procedure, do an interactive select for first Scenario and set that on the first Block, then another interactive select for the second Scenario and set that on the other block. Then the variance is between those two Scenarios. Main dislike about this method though from most users is the columns headers are not dynamic to show which Scenarios were selected unfortunately. But this is a potential option. If you were always comparing against Actual Scenario as an example, then you can just use a selector (limited to 1 member selection) and Actual is set on the first Block, and the selector controls the comparison scenario and the header works fine.

Bart Scott

CFO Solutions LLC

• Marius Lubbe
    Options

Hi @Bart Scott,

Thank you very much. This is a very interesting approach that I could definitley use.

Do you perhaps know if there is a way to do this without resorting to a procedure?

Kind Regards Marius

• Bart Scott
    Bart Scott Active Partner
    Photogenic Community Captain First Anniversary Advocate
    Options

Unless you can fix one of the Scenarios unfortunately that is the only method we have found to do that. As I mentioned in the last part of the above, fixing on one Scenario as the main comparison is the most common, so that you can use Selectors and/or pagers to do the other block dynamically with no procedure needed.

Bart

• Marius Lubbe
    Options

Okay cool, thank you very much.

Marius