Looking up description from parent entity

Options

I'm reading in SKU with a description. A child entity of SKU is "single unit item" since we sell some items individually, and sum in bulk packs that have a separate item number. Our ERP doesn't store a description for this single unit item. How can I read the description from SKU into the description for single unit item? Would I need to read the description into a cube and then look it up from there?

Answers

• Helmut Heimann
    Options

Hi @John Hughes ,

my idea would be to extract the tree with item, SKU, and descriptions of both item and SKU, and reload that into the item entity. You can then use ETL to verify if the item's description is missing and, in that case, replace it with the SKU's description.
    Just an idea but I'd give it a try.

Kind regards

Helmut

• John Hughes
    Options

That would get it in, but if we have new records that get added, I'd have to repeat this process. Or if we made a change to the description itself in ERP, which could happen.

• Leone Scaburri
    Options

Hi @John Hughes,

this use case could be a parent in a standard hierarchy that can be shown in a layout as a block.

• Helmut Heimann
    Options

That's correct, but you could just add the according procedure for extract/reload into your nightly dataload after masterdata upate - so it will all be set correctly each night.