Setting time range and time entity relationships

MSugiyama
MSugiyama Active Partner
10 Comments Name Dropper Level 200: Building A Planning Solution in Board Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board

Once a year, I plan a task to extend the time range by one year.

I tried extending it by a year, which resulted in unexpected changes to the time entity relationships.

In the example below, the number of child entities Month for FY=2023 should remain 12, but has become 3.

Before the time change

After the time change

I have two questions.

1. Is it common for time entity relationships to break after changing the time range in Board?
  2. What is the best practice for fixing time entity relationships? My current idea is to extract the time entity tree before the time range change in a CSV (using a procedure), and then import the CSV with one year's worth added (also a procedure).

Accepted Answer

• Helmut Heimann
    Helmut Heimann Employee, Community Captain
    250 Likes Fourth Anniversary 100 Up Votes 100 Comments
    Answer ✓

Hi @MSugiyama ,

first of all, it's fairly uncommon that relationships in the time range get corrupted when just adding a future year. In your case, I would assume part of the cause being the relationship between FY and Month—but, that's just an assumption. You might want to unload the database after applying the desired changes and sometimes it might be neccessary to restart the Board service, as well.

Have a look at our Best Practices regarding the time range.
    https://community.board.com/discussion/16407/how-to-define-and-manage-the-time-range

The idea of extracting and re-loading the time tree using procedures points in the correct direction.

Kind regards,
    Helmut

Answers

• MSugiyama
    MSugiyama Active Partner
    10 Comments Name Dropper Level 200: Building A Planning Solution in Board Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board

@Helmut Heimann

Thank you for your reply.

I understand that it is rare for the relationship of time entities to go wrong due to a change in the time range. I suspect that this error occurred because the 半期(half-year) entity was created originally.

Since manually correcting the relationship is likely to lead to human error, I will think about whether there is an easy way to correct it using a procedure. I will also contact Board support about this problem.

Thank you.

@MSugiyama

• Helmut Heimann
    Helmut Heimann Employee, Community Captain
    250 Likes Fourth Anniversary 100 Up Votes 100 Comments

Hi @MSugiyama ,

you can always create the correct relationship if you're using a correctly defined relationship in the file you load - this will "repair" the relationships.
    The easiest way to do that would be to extract the time tree, examine and correct the extracted data and then reload it. Once you've done the correction to your file you can set up a procedure to extract the (then correctly defined) relationships and reimport them—this can even be done on a daily basis without causing any harm.

Kind regards,
    Helmut