Selection of values in a block based on another block

I would like to offer the following functionality and wonder if achieving it in Board is possible. As per below table, for each line item the user would categorise the line item with an object Type in block b. This is a block of type entity where user selects the object type from the dropdown.

Based on the selection made for Object Type, the user is then offered the selection in the Object Sub type column. The members listed in block c should be only those which are of type selected in Object Type and not all. So if a user selects OB1, the Object Subtype should only show OB11, OB12, and OB13 and not subtypes of OB2 and OB3.

Secondly, based on the selection made for the object type, the values should be populated.

I wonder if there could be a way to control the members listed in the data view column based on another column. Has anyone achieved something similar ?

Block a

Block b

Block c

Block d

Rows

Date

Object Type

Object Sub Type

Value

Line Item 1

1/09/2024

OB1

OB11

Line Item 2

1/09/2024

OB2

OB21

Line Item 3

1/09/2024

OB3

OB31

Answers

• Helmut Heimann
    Helmut Heimann Employee, Community Captain
    250 Likes Fourth Anniversary 100 Up Votes 100 Comments

Hi @Navan Mehra ,

if blocks b and c contain directly connected entities (which I assume based on your description of the relationship) you can't set both to being data-entry-enabled in the same dataview.
    Aditionally, you can't use selections in a data-entry-enabled dataview.

How are line-item and object type connected to each other—if they are connected at all?

Best,
    Helmut

• Hi @Helmut Heimann

At the moment, Line Items are directly linked to Object Type and Object Type hs data entry enabled as suggested values. Object Sub Type is a new requirement.

Line Item —> Object Type

Object SubType has multiple values rolling up to Object Type. If I update the relationship to add the Object Sub Type as a direct relation to Line Items, I lose the ability to edit it on Data view as it is no longer related directly. The requirement is to select the Object Type first and based on selection filter out the Sub Types.

Line Item —→ Object Sub Type —→ Object Type

I think that's not possible with Board at the moment. Only option that I can think of is direct separate links to both and allow selection on data view. I was thinking of adding a prefix in the description for Object SubType to differentiate between OB1 and OB2. Something like OB1-OB11, OB1-OB12,etc

Line Item —→ Object Type

Line Item —→ Object Sub Type

• Helmut Heimann
    Helmut Heimann Employee, Community Captain
    250 Likes Fourth Anniversary 100 Up Votes 100 Comments

Hi @Navan Mehra ,

if you want to use the relationship Line Item → Object Type → Object Sub Type I would suggest to opt for an entity editor to create the appropriate relationships and in a second step populate the values in the dataview per line item with no need for the data entry on the entities.

The entity editor already restricts the Sub Type to only "possible" ones, considering the relation between Object Type an Sub Type as defined in the model.

So, Line Item would be the root of the hierarchy directly resembling OB1-OB11, OB1-OB12 and so on.

Best,
    Helmut

• Thanks Helmut. We have followed the same approach. Unfortunately no other way