BOARD daily data upload

Options

Hello,

I have a question about data upload of BOARD. We have created a procedure that fills cubes (SQL Data Read) and executes data flows in a specified order.

I have noticed that this procedure runs for a very long time and I cannot see very well at which step it is currently. We have a total of 149 steps that need to be performed, with a minimum of 75% being "simple" SQL data read.

The environment is as follows. Our SQL DWH is located on server A and BOARD is located on server B. After the filling of the DWH is finished from other sources [ERP, MES etc.] BOARD[v10.0.3] starts and performs the procedure.

BOARD LOGs in detail in the forum carefully, but I found nothing there that gives me an idea why the procedure takes so long. I would like to see at which step it takes the longest to see if I can change the performance there.

The progress bar displayed on the screen is not very helpful there. Is there a protocol somewhere where I can see how long it took him to make which step? One equivalent to the SQL jobs, where I can see how long it took for which step.

Thanks in advance for your input

Alexander

Answers

• Björn Reuber
    Options

Hi

in HBMP_DBname_YYYYMM you can see the exact execution time of every DataReader and Dataflow (if its activated). With this you can start. So if a certain DF/DR takes to long you can try to optimze this step.

Regards

Björn

• Björn Reuber
    Options

btw most problem with those loading and calculation procedures is, that it's very often executed, without a Selection on the Time (also on SQL Side).

So everytime BOARD is loading all Data (every year) and not only the current and last one (as an example) and is doing the calculation for every month (also the historical data doesnt changed).

In fact this is the easist way to create an onPrem loading strategy, but it's also  very slow. So sometimes it's helpful to load only current and last year (if you have Views for loading in SQL you can limit the data very easily) and use a selection for the calculation.

Regards

Björn

• Paul Wyatt
    Options

Bjorn,  Thanks for the Log and performance tips - I've just implemented a time restricted load onto a particularly long process and it completed in less than a minute as opposed to 12 minutes. 

Regarding the log files, I remember seeing a Database Analyser model about 2 years ago - it could analyse all levels of activity from users to screen refresh rates to datareader and dataflow processes.  It used only the raw log files.  Is this still available?  Has it been updated do you know? And, do you have a link that I could use to download it.

• Björn Reuber
    Options

Hi Paul,

you can downlaod the Log File Application from our service Desk: Board Support Desk - Powered by Kayako https://support.board.com/index.php? Help Desk Software 

Regards

Björn

• Paul Wyatt
    Options

Many thanks Bjorn