maximum number of axes

Options

I am trying to build a report using a data viewer, however firstly I had to put entities in as axes so that they can be flattened out rather than having them in the data block, which just returned the total count in that entity.  However I now find that if I have more than 2 entities in the axes the screen does not  display, but just errors saying it can't execute.  As my cube has quite a number of entities and I was to display the majority of these you can see I have a bit of a problem.  Has any one come across this or know how to solve this

thanks

Tagged:

Answers

• Brendan Broughton
    Options

Hi Alison Clowes,  I've had similar issues at times but it can be caused by a few different things.  Any chance you can provide a bit more detail (screen caps) on the cube dimensions, entities/relationships involved, and how you want it to display..that will help to provide a more useful response.  And how many members are there in each of the two entities you are trying to display by?

• Daniel Zillmann
    Options

Hi Alison,

This can be caused when your rows number is higher then the "reports rows upper limit". So it would be helpful if you could let us know how many members are in your entities and maybe just try setting the limit higher on your server.

Regarding using the entities in the data block, you need to have the lowest entity of your entity tree in your axes, then you can use related entities in your data blocks. That can have a positive effect on your performance.

Cheers,

Daniel

• Previous Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Here is the cube,

data view

axes

There is no relationship between any of the items on the axes, so I cannot bring tenant status in as an entity in the data view, in order of no of element ascending we have Tenant Status (Lowest), Unit, Tenancy (Highest #)

we are trying to replicate or produce something like this

Tenure is also a separate entitiy as these things can change month on month so we need to capture this rather than have it as a level

• Fabian Frommann
    Options

Hi Alison Clowes,

I have three other ideas on this.

1. Please check if you set the Max Item Number on all of these Entities used in this cube as dimension.
    2. Are the cube version two and three aligned?
    3. Isn't it possible to use a sparsity for this cube. That is not the reason for your described problem, but it will help you with potential performance issues you could get.

If one and two are not the reason for your problem, I would try to increase the "reports upper row limit" as Daniel Zillmann mentioned.

Regards, Fabian

• HI

It still did not work when I only had one version,  how would the maximum number of entities impact, does the order of the entities in the axes impact ?

Alison Clowes

BI Developer

DDI +44 191 269 5906; M +44 7715 122947;

E aclowes@graingerplc.co.uk<mailto:aclowes@graingerplc.co.uk>; W www.graingerplc.co.uk<http://www.graingerplc.co.uk/>; Twitter @graingerplc&lt;https://twitter.com/graingerplc>

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

Hi Alison,

As rule of thumb, you should put the entities in ascending order of size for the best rendering and execution times.

• I would just like to add that in cases in which I have plenty of entities without any relationship, if I have the chance, I would consider to build up some techincal key by concatenation of serveral codes, hence building few fake tree relationship: this way your cube should be structured by such keys, thus being less-dimensioned, it should be lighter and its performance should improve.

• Etienne CAUSSE
    Options

Hi Antonio Speca

We are facing some limits to export data that seem to be linked with the capacity of .NET arrays.
    What is the standard limit for these arrays ? I would like to confirm this hypothesis before exploring other solutions.

Thanks,
    Etienne

• Hello Etienne,

Please use this link for the limits I was talking about and how to remove them

Element | Microsoft Docs 

If this is not the issue you are facing please share with us more elements so that we can help you

• Etienne CAUSSE
    Options

Hi Antonio Speca,

I seem to remember we activated this "large objects" option already.
    I'm interested to understand how to anticipate those limits in our board layouts.

If I understand correctly what you said, if the potential number of items (multiplication of the max item numbers of dimensions in the layout) is above 2,147,483,591 then the layout will fail. 

If that's the case, that would mean that I cannot display a table with a combination of axis that contain 200 000 items in the sparse file, if the density of this sparse is below 200 000 / 2 147 483 591. Is that it ?