How to write data entry back to source database?

Options

We've recently moved to a world of trying to maintain a clean production environment and making all changes in dev and then periodically copying the entire dev database across to live.

However.....

We've realised that data entry performed in live now gets overwritten.  We have some data entry enabled for both entities and cubes.

Please can someone point me towards documentation that explains the best methodology for pushing data entry cubes and entities either back to a source database, or for copying these from live to dev before migrating changes in dev?  I've not been able to find previous posts on this topic.

Thank you in advance.

Tagged:

Answers

• As an update, I've now discovered documentation on ROLAP cubes (once I figured out the name of what I was searching for!) and have got those working.

Still not sure on the best way to get data entry Entities synced back to source database though, if anyone is able to help with that.  Thank you!

• Helmut Heimann
    Options

Hi Victoria Walton,

if your approach with ROLAP for Cubes is working, you'd only need a possibility to get entries made on entities (new members) back to DEV, correct?

My idea would be to extract those entities (better: the trees) from PROD to HardDrive, provide the appropriate files to the DEV system and re-import the data into DEV.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards,

Helmut