Can we create Relationship between two Entities coming from Different Data source, yet sharing the S

Options

Hello All,

I have got an interesting situation in Board currently, i am using Board 10.3.

Generally Entity Codes are used as mapping points while creating relationship between different entities, right ?!

Now my situation is as follows:

I have an Entity being populated from Data Source: SQL Database, consider like this:

Entity Name(1) : Building Name  (In CODE: Building Number, In DESC: Building Name)

I have another Entity named CPI which gets populated through ASCII Reader, Data Source: CSV format file, Consider it:

Entity Name(2) : CPI (In Code: Building Number (in same format and data type as Entity Name(1), In DESC: CPI Value)

Now when i try to create a relationship between Entity Name(1) & Entity Name(2)  , i am not able to do that, Generally Board usually Maps entity by Codes but in this case it is not behaving in that way

Has anyone else faced this solution and can share their knowledge to help me out on this please ?!

Looking for Help,

Thanks and regards

Malav Shelat

Tagged:

Answers

• Hi Malav Shelat,

the source of the data does not matter at all. So you're fine mixing SQL and ASCII.

Creating relationships between two entities is shown here: Defining a relationship 

The way relations are loaded:

- a relationship is defined between the entities A and B

- a datareader loads both entities at the same time. The connection between A and B has to exist in your data beforehand.

BR, Ray

• Hello Ray Martens,

The Relationship was already been defined before connecting and populating the data through Data reader

please note:  Entity 1 was already Populated and existed in the Database,  and the second Entity was later Created  > Then Related the Entity 1 > and then Populated through ASCII Data reader.

Can that be of any issue ?!

Regards,

Malav Shelat

• As long as populating happens last, it should work out.

Still consider the following:

When loading a hierarchy there's one thing to do that should ensure all is loaded correctly.

Imagine you have Entity A - Entity B - Entity C

A is connected to B;

B is connected to C

A is the root (left most in the graphical view; highest level; least detailed entity of the tree)

In order to populate correctly (also after any changes to the hierarchy) - load in the data reader

A & B & C

It is important to have the root entity included.

Just updating B-C will likely not work correctly.

BR, Ray

• It is important to have the root entity included.

Just updating B-C will likely not work correctly

.having the root entity included is not mandatory. This is one way to normalize the tree.

Another way is:

1. datareader1 loads entitiies A and B => this create relationships between members of entities A and B
    2. datareader2 loads entities B and C => this create relationships between members of entities B and C
    3. a procedure step "normalize tree" (see reference in the help) normalize the relationships between the members of entities A and C
  • thanks interested typ for pointing this one out

• Previous Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hello Ray Martens and interested typ

i Just thought to attach some screen shots along with my problem to bring more clarity and a quick go-through my existing issue

Now, all the entities you see in image(1) are already there and populated, Their Data source is SQL and being populated from SQL Data reader

Image(1): 

Now i have created a New Entity, Called CPI, Image(2)

In relationships > Access mode (Analytical is selected)

I put this beside BuildingNumber , as Building Number Code and CPI code will be acting a primary Key or Code for Mapping., Image(3)

Next I created ASCII Data reader , to Populate CPI entities: Image(4)

Data Reader Successfully ran and Entities Populated in CPI , Image(5)

This is CPI Entity CODE and DESC                                                                        This is BuildingNumber CODE and DESC

image                             image 

P.S : There are matching CODEs between these two tables for Mapping which are currently not visible in this but for example i have searched one and taken a screen shot like this below for CODE 35384 (The first member in below image)

This is CPI Entity CODE and DESC                                                                                This is BuildingNumber CODE and DESC

image                               image                       

now this is how my relation ship looks now:

but when i click on CPI (Beside Building Number)

No Mapping is created by Board, see image below:

Is there anything i am missing out in workflow ?! , can you please guide to resolve this , i do not want to use Normalize/Fix relationships directly because it'll effect other relationship already existing in Board and i am afraid to mess them up.

kindly advise and help.

Regards,

Malav

• after a quick glance I noticed that in image 4 you only load CPI.

Can you load Building-Number and CPI there?

And if you do so, please consider the comment from interested typ

3. a procedure step "normalize tree" (see reference in the help) normalize the relationships between the members of entities A and C

• Yes right , I only loaded CPI , did not want to load building number again as it was already pre- loaded. Do you think that can create this issue.

I am under impression that it should not be needed. 

Thanks for the reply. 

Regards, Malav 

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

On Fri, 10 May 2019 at 7:04 PM, raym<do-not-reply.community@board.com> wrote:   

#yiv3492894697 * #yiv3492894697 a #yiv3492894697 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv3492894697 #yiv3492894697 h1, #yiv3492894697 h2, #yiv3492894697 h3, #yiv3492894697 h4, #yiv3492894697 h5, #yiv3492894697 h6, #yiv3492894697 p, #yiv3492894697 hr {}#yiv3492894697 .yiv3492894697button td {}

|

|

Re: Can we create Relationship between two Entities coming from Different Data source, yet sharing the Same Code ?

reply from Ray Martens in Forums - View the full discussion

after a quick glance I noticed that in image 4 you only load CPI.

Can you load Building-Number and CPI there?

CPI would still be Append for the code and Replace for the desc.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on BOARDVille

Start a new discussion in Forums by email or at BOARDVille

Following Re: Can we create Relationship between two Entities coming from Different Data source, yet sharing the Same Code ? in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by BOARDVille because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from BOARDVille, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

• Hi Malav Shelat,

at the moment, it looks like there's no place in the datareader where Board knows of the connection in the data. So you'll need to load them in a pair or tuple.

BR, Ray