Dynamic Selection on 2 entities

Options

I am trying to create a dynamic selection based upon the intersection of two non-related entities (assume salesperson and customer) such that when a salesperson is selected from a pager the dynamic selection will show only those customers for the salesperson selected. I built a cube based on these two entities as follows:

Cust 1         Cust 2          Cust 3         Cust 4

Person 1               1                  1

Person 2                                   1                  1

Person 3                                                       1                   1

I applied this cube to the selection related to the customer entity. When I entered data for one salesperson, it worked exactly as I thought it would. However, as soon as I entered data for for additional people, it no longer worked and the dynamic selection was ignored.  Clearly, my understanding of how to create a dynamic selection based on two separate entities is flawed.

Any suggestions as to the correct way to do this is appreciated.

Tagged:

Accepted Answer

• Alexander Kappes
    Alexander Kappes Employee
    First Anniversary Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Name Dropper
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓
    Options

Dear Mike Martin,

don´t worry.

For general you can use procedure triggers for:

- Screens (OnOpening / OnClose)

- Pagers (Procedure Trigger will be executed when you perform an action inside the pager)

- DAtaViews (This one is only active for Dataentry DataViews. It executes the trigger procedure for each changed cell).

According to this you have to use the trigger inside your pager.

When the procedure starts, your pager choice is active for it.

Means inside your procedure you can directly insert your dynamic select to the customer dimension (alternatively you can also use Select Entity Based on Cube Step).

When this is done, just use Apply Selection to screen and finally a refresh of the screen.

Hope it helps

regards

Alexander Kappes

Answers

• Alexander Kappes
    Alexander Kappes Employee
    First Anniversary Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board Level 200: Leveraging Board for Business Insights Name Dropper
    edited March 2020
    Options

Dear Mike Martin,

you have 2 opportunities solving your request.

1. You change your Pager through Selector. By the way starting from 10.5 you can configure your Selector to select one member only image

2. Using the pager you can create a little trigger procedure for your Pager which selects the customers based to the sales person you have choosen inside your pager.

Hope it helps

regards

Alexander Kappes

• Hi Alexander,

A couple of things:

1. I thought triggers only worked when the DataView has data entry enabled? Am I wrong?

2. Even with data entry enabled, I seem to be having difficulty figuring out the correct procedure and getting it to work properly.

Can you show me what you mean?

Sorry to be a pest!

• Hi Alexander,

This works perfectly. Believe it or not, I had the procedure built correctly, but was applying to the second pager which triggered it only after selecting an item. I'm clearly an idiot !