What is the impact of switching a user from User(password) to User(Windows/LDAP/SAML) ?

Options

Dear all,

I'm wondering if any of you already has an experience with this kind of operation:

Currently I have around 40% of my users which belong to a newly acquired company, where the Active Directory infrastructure is not  merged with ours yet.

To create them without waiting I had to create a specific password: User(password) type.

As the AD is progressively merged I want to switch them to a User(Windows/LDAP/SAML) type, in order to avoid managing passwords (create, reset...).

Currently I have to delete the user and recreate it with the same profile, so my questions are:

- how does it impact the user preferences ? Are they reset ?

- does it impact the user's favorites ?

- most importantly, does it impact their saved "Presentations" ?

If there is an impact do you know of any workarounds ?

Thanks for your input.
Etienne

Answers

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Etienne,

If the username stays the same, you can actually do the test and try to enter as (Windows/LDAP/SAML) for a user for which you selected to use a username and password. You will see it still works, even though you have not set them up as such.

You just need to make sure that the following setting is set active in the config

I talked about this with Andrea Spreca, and he told me this is not documented because this "functionality" can disappear again in future versions, but I believe it is for us community members something interesting to know. I only got to know it while I was giving training at the client site...

I don't know what would be the impact on recreating the users on the aforementioned points you had, though.

All the best,
    Jonathan

• Etienne CAUSSE
    Options

Hi Jonathan, I don't think this trick applies since we're using a LDAP connection to the Active Directory to authenticate users. They don't have any "windows" button on the login screen.

Thanks for the info anyway

• Steve Pankrath
    Options

Hi Etienne,

I know this thread is old, but did you ever solve this question? :-)

We are about to update our version and will migrate to a new server. I am looking for a way to preserve all the favorites and presentations etc.

Kind regards

Steve

• Etienne CAUSSE
    Options

Hi @Steve Pankrath ,

at the end due to the AD setup we had to change the user names and could not keep automatically the presentations. So basically to keep the presentations we shared them with other users and then duplicated with the new users to have them “transferred” to the new owner account. I'm not sure of the behavior if you keep the user names…

• Steve Pankrath
    Options

Hi Etienne,

thank you for your answer!