Data Reader ETL issue with Text file

Options
Dinesh Chand
Dinesh Chand Active Partner
First Anniversary Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Comment 5 Likes

Hello All,

I have a data reader that reads an ascii tab delimited file. It updates several cubes correctly. However, I have an issue with one of the transformations. I am reading text values and converting this to an integer based on the text value in the source file.

=IF(TRIM(UPPER(C10))="FILLED",1,IF(TRIM(UPPER(C10))="VACANT",2,IF(TRIM(UPPER(C10))="CLOSED",3,9)))

I have used various versions of the formula above including E & F columns to make the formula simpler. These formulas perform the correct transformation when I preview the values in the data reader e.g.

However, when I execute the data reader, the cube ends up with the default value (9 in this case). Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Thanks,
Dinesh

Answers

• Dinesh Chand
    Dinesh Chand Active Partner
    First Anniversary Level 100: Foundations of Building in Board First Comment 5 Likes
    Options

Hi Bettina Clausen

You are absolutely correct! When I load to a text cube, the transformation works. Not sure if this how I envisaged the ETL function to work. I thought the transformation layer would transform the data before loading to the target cube. Instead, from what you say and what I have just experienced,  it loads to cube first and then updates the cube by applying the transformation logic. So it is more an ELT  rather than ETL!

In fact before I got your reply, my workaround was to load the data as is to a text cube and the have a data flow to transform to codes and store in another cube.

Thanks,
    Dinesh

Davide Genini - fyi