Data entry on totals for column algorithm

Options

Hi, I have a dataview with two infocubes and a column algorithm c=a/b with summary algorithm calculated. On the row axis there are aggregated entity and the data entry is enabled. It is possible to write on the deepest entity. It is also possible to write on totals for the columns a and b (infocubes),image

but I can't write on totals for the algorithm c.

I would have the possibility to write also on the total calculated of the column c and use the reverse algorithm formula to re-calculate each row. Does anyone have any tricks to have this behavior? Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• Emanuela Dolce
    Emanuela Dolce Active Partner
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited March 2020
    Options

Thank you for your suggestion! I tried with the Edit block function but I can enter a value only for total or average of the block c, which are not meaningful to me. If I create a new dataview with only the Group entity by row and the split&splat option enabled, I have what I need. image

Is it not possible to do something like this also in the initial dataview with two entity by row?

• Sebastian Gurt
    Options

Hi - it is possible to enter data in an algorithm total in HTML5 client. I think at least from version 10.1.2 on.

BR Sebastian

• Unknown
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Sebastian Gurt and Emanuela Dolce,

Just want to drop in a couple of lines about this topic as it's a very common scenario, so I thought i might add some context - as a general design principle, doing a DE on the total of a column algorithm will not be ideal as it generates a circular reference in the dataview calculation when "simulating" the change before saving the dataentry.

I tried to explain it in the graphical flow above.

When you execute the change in the HTML5 client, on the total of the column algorithm, the dataentry will return a "weird" value in the total itself. If you then save the dataentry, the BOARD engine will perform the correct split and splat on the cube where the values are reversed, and the total will match your data-entry value. (see the short video i've attached).

It might be confusing for the user to see their data-entry value change and then reappear, that's why i would go for the additional "total" dataview as mentioned before, it's a neat solution and doesn't require a lot of effort!

Hope this helps

Michele

• Sebastian Gurt
    Options

Thank you Michele Roscelli for the clarification.

But besides the temporarily "weird" value in the total, the calculations are correct, right?

• Unknown
    Options

Yes they are, because the engine only receives the new values for the cube and executes the split and splat - the values for the algorithm are not passed to the engine - so it does the job as expected!