How can I calculate difference between two dates?

Options

I want to calculate the difference in days, hours, minutes and seconds between two datetime stamps and I would be very interested to know how others have approached this.  Currently I seem to be contemplating a solution which first subtracts one date from another to get a decimal.  Then I would convert that decimal to days, taken from the original decimal and convert to hours, etc.  This is very convoluted and so I was hoping that someone could help me out.

Tagged:

Answers

• Paul Wyatt
    Options

Thanks Samuele Marchetto,

I like the nexel approach - I keep meaning to find reasons to use it but end up testing in it only to replace the solution with a dataflow or datareader process later. 

I was playing with the datareader date functions that you mentioned and that is another way and a method that will come in handy later and for another process I will be incorporating.

As a result of playing with your suggestions and so thinking about my needs more deeply, I was able to devise a method that uses a dataview to calculate the different date parts with algorithms.  As there is nothing, that I have found, on this matter and as the method is dynamic, I have submitted an Inspiration which outlines and discusses the method I chose to ensure it is more easily found by all.

However, for completeness and in summary, I created a dataview with several algorithms like this:

BlockContentTypeFormulaFormat
    a.Date1CubeNumeric
    b.Date2CubeNumeric
    cResultAlgorithmb-aNumeric
    d.DaysAlgorithmint(c)Numeric
    e.HoursAlgorithmmod(c,1)*24Numeric
    f.MinutesAlgorithmmod(e,1)*60Numeric
    g.SecondsAlgorithmmod(f,1)*60Numeric

The cubes are populated with the numeric value of each of the dates so that calculations can be carried out.

Again, thanks for your response and so quickly too.

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

Hi Marcsamu,

This works perfectly.

I just want to mention that it's important that cubes b and a in your example are text cubes.
    I got some problems with the DATAVALUE() function before due to the wrong data type of my cubes.

• @Matthew Sobon hi Matt, please see the example of the dates difference calculation.