Calculate contract value per month

Options

The question is how we can calculate the value of a contract. We have the value per month, as an example:

12 Months with 100 euros per month.

January 100 euros
February 100 euros
March 100 euros
etc.

In Board I would like to see as a result

January 1200 euro (sum January to December)
February 1100 euros (sum February to December)
March 1000 euros (sum March to December)

The start and end dates are flexible, can be several months but also several years.

How to set this up in Board

Answers

• Unknown
    Unknown Active Partner
    Options

Hi Bas Koomen,

That's an interesting challenge. There are a few wrinkles I see that need to be addressed.

1. Needs a mapping of Contract to Month to identify active months for a given contract
    2. Needs summation across time to get contract remaining
    3. Needs to calculate a remaining value, rather than YTD

I would probably create an integer cube as mapping cube cube (Contract,Month) to address (1). Each time a contract is active in a given month, the integer cube intersection would be 1, else 0. Next, I would need a new cube, with the same entities as your current cube, but use a reference to TOTAL BY Year or All time. This would give the total contract value, only in active periods. This addresses (2). Now that we have the total contract value in each period, we need to subtract off the YTD sum of the source. This should address (3) and give us the remaining value in a contract, in a particular period.

These other cubes may help simplify it too:

• Annual opening contract balances - You'll need this in conjunction with YTD for multi-year calculations
    • Contract value - Full value of a contract
    • YTD contract spent
    • LTD contract spent

Good luck,

• Bas Koomen
    Bas Koomen Active Partner
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Options

Thank you for your extensive answer, I will try to set this up.

• Björn Reuber
    Options

Maybe also one of the built in algorithm from BOARD Layout Algorithm Syntax can help you. If I understood you case correctly it could be PV: Returns the present value of an annuity, considering a series of constant payments made over a regular payment period.

Regards

Björn

• Bas Koomen
    Bas Koomen Active Partner
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Options

Thank you, sorry but i  forgot to mention that the value per month can vary, it's not lineair.