Find function in block alghoritm

Options

Hello

I tried to use the find function in an alg. block but it doesn't work. Probably it's not supported , but I would like to be sure about it.

For sure I can do this using nexcel, but in this case I would avoid it.

thanks

Answers

• I had the same situation recently when I needed to know the number of spaces in an entity description. I found the same problem with the layout algorithm. For me the answer was to create a cube (e.g. "# of spaces")  to store the value. I extracted the entity to file then created an ASCII protocol to read the extract. The find() function is supported in the ASCII protocol ETL so I just used the ETL to populate the value in my "# of spaces" cube.
    Not as neat as having it in a layout algorithm but actually was more use in my application.

HTH

Robert

• Helmut Heimann
    Options

Hi Daniele Di Lorenzo,

as you can see here BOARD Layout Algorithm Syntax , there is no "find"-function available in BOARD's Layout Algorithms.

Although I don't know your data model, I'd propose using the entity describing wheter you'd be looking at a painting or not as an additional block (hidden) in your layout and refer to that block to determine whether to display a "Y" or "N" per record.

Or--even easier, attach this entity as attribute to your "Name" entity and display the contents of this attribute in your layout.

But maybe you are aiming at something else--it would be helpful to know what you'd like to achieve...

Kind Regards,

Helmut

• Daniele Di Lorenzo
    Options

Thanks to both of you.

I also thought about these solutions (reliable and effective!), but since my need is related to this report only and for a very limited data subset, I would find a "light" solution. I guess nexcel works fine for my purposes.

thanks again!

Best regards

Daniele