Dynamic validation for data entry

Options
Kelly Goldsworthy
edited April 2020 in Platform

I am trying to figure out how I can create a dynamic drop list for data entry on a data view.

For example:

An Entity gets flagged for the creation of an incident.

Once flagged, various input information is required - namely: Incident Type, Incident Category and Incident Sub Category.

A user is required to capture this information, but ideally I do not want them to have to scroll through the full list of options. 

so.... if there is the following relationship:

Incident sub-category - Incident category - Incident type

Then it should be honored when completing the data entry.

The scenario should be as follows:

then:

where the "Greater than 5000" and "Less than 5000" is a child of "Shortage"

and then:

where "Lost", "Stolen" and "Correction" are children of Incident category.

Is this doable?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• Joris van den Boogaard
    Joris van den Boogaard Active Partner
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Likes First Anniversary
    edited March 2020
    Options

Hi Kelly Goldsworthy,

I managed to replicate your case an make it working using a Region - Zone - Customer Hierarchy (from demo sales application).

In the first block below I use suggested value by entity region (CODE). After this a trigger procedure populates 2 cubes for a dynamic select on Zone and Customer. In block 2 and 3 below, the suggested values are based on these cubes. See more printscreens below:

The trigger procedure performs the following steps:

The data read populates a cube with which you select the region that you can use as a select based on step. This will flag only the related members of the other 2 entities.

In the second and third block of the layout I use suggested values based on the cubes that were just populated. Because only the appropriate Zones and Customers are flagged; the dropdown then gives you the expected result.

Hope this helps

• Kelly Goldsworthy
    Options

Fantastic! Thanks Joris.

That is what I suspected, but hoped there may be another way without a procedure.

I will give it a go later today.

Regards,

Kelly